Getting ready for Ramadhan during a lockdown


Last Thursday was a nightmare for all of us. I was just returning after early morning bulk shopping for the week when we heard the news. We have been staying at home for the past two weeks while some of us have been very busy hosting parties and going on fishing trips without the idea that you could be putting others in danger. This virus is very cunning, it is a silent prey that nobody knows its there until it shows its ugly head.
Now the whole of Maldives is under lockdown,  praying this sudden change to community cases doesn't spread and destroy too many lives, with a healthcare worker for a husband I am constantly tensed. But I also want to do my part for the community and that is to help you guys with how to plan and get through this Ramadhan.

First of all, make a meal plan. I discovered this lovely Instagrammer who has some meal plan tables which she is giving away as soft copies. You can DM her via this link to her Instagram page.  Meal plans have helped me for a long time. It helps me to stick to a budget and also helps when you head to the shops. Well in this case when ordering your food.   If you are living with several families and eating together, sit together and come up with ideas that suit everyone but still minimize the amount of food you have to make. I have seen some tables during Ramadhan literally brimming with food but get this, this year you have to really cut down on the extravagance. 

Once you make a meal plan, make a list enough for two weeks.  Double-check your list to make sure you have everything and then call up the grocers. Now be kind to the ones who are taking your order because they are trying to deliver food to everyone and also ship them to the islands. The guys are overworked, they are putting their staff at risk just for you. So be patient, the whole world is going through this and some people don't even have this luxury and are stuck on the streets. 
Now here are a few basics I have to help me through this Ramadhan, I am sharing this so you can get an idea of what you might need, which might be different from mine.



You don't need too much spices, as long as u have a curry powder mix, some chili powder and basic flavourings.

of course some eggs.

Since it is Ramadhan and you will be going through a few baking items so should stock up on baking powder cocoa and the usual condensed milk, vanilla and of course, milk which I forgot to add. 


for my baking plus some milk (not pictured)


oil



I can't live without rihaakuru, Lime mate I bought a just in case I run out of limes.

The freezer is your best friend, can store grated coconut in packed in small bags, smoked tuna wrapped in foil, and frozen vegetables and cheese blocks. Chillies such as scotch bonnets also can be kept in the freezer. The canned cheese can sit in the fridge covered with foil. 


During my previous 3 week isolation, I bought certain vegetables which I knew won't perish so quickly, along with canned and frozen vegetables, things like cabbage, potatoes, pumpkin, peppers, and carrots stayed well into two weeks. Peel your onions and keep them stored in the fridge, you can check out here how to store onions, curry leaves, and pandan leaves by clicking here. The carrots I discovered stayed fresh and didn't wilt when you kept them wrapped in foil or cling film. But remember to wash them well in soapy water and wipe the cans and packets with some disinfectant when you receive them. Wash your hands.

I always store up on cookies like cream crackers, Marie biscuits, Oreos and a few other cookies the kids love because you can't run to the store now days just to get them and of course milk.  


Now for the biggest debate, water. We used to drink rainwater until bats started attacking our moringa tree and started contaminating the rooftop with their droppings. My mum and sister attached filters to the tap water and have been using it after filtering. This was after my aunts in Kulhudhufushi suggested that it worked for them. The wastewater from the filter is used to wash dishes or water the plants. As for us, we boil our water for drinking. As for cooking just use straight from the tap. My mother-in-law drinks straight from the tap.  So give it a try, it will save you money, once this madness goes away maybe invest on a filter for your tap. 

My mum was wondering but what about juice!. I know we all want our juice by the end of the day this year don't think we can get watermelons every day or go out to get fresh fruit to make them so maybe can stick to cordials like Sunquick or powdered ones like Foster Clark or rose syrup or use canned fruit. 

If you run out of anything, improvise, you can google what you can use instead. 

Use your leftovers don't throw them away,  come up with innovative ideas on how to use them.

I hope this helps, but please be kind, be grateful and help the front liners by staying indoors. Don't keep calling the grocers every day and bringing deliveries every day, try to minimize the number of people coming into your homes. If you have any health workers or front-line workers renting your homes, be kind to them, don't abuse them. We are all in this together, it's time to stop thinking as just me its we have to get through this and beat this thing.

Finally, institutes like Bayyinah, Yageen and Mufti Menk always hold inspirational lectures on their YouTube pages during Ramadhan, take time to reflect and listen, this too shall pass, and pray and stay safe. 

Comments

  1. Good that you are so well prepared. I don't make meal plans because I never follow...always change it the last minute LOL. Stay safe and strong!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....