Carrot Pirinee



It's Eid again. A very rainy one too. We celebrate two Eid. The first one Eid-ul-Fitr is celebrated after the fasting month of Ramadhan. Now it's Eid ul Adha, which is the Eid that is celebrated after the day of Hajj.  For this Eid, we are heading to the islands to celebrate. It is the first time I am heading to an island for Eid so am pretty excited about it. But before I head off I wanted to share a dessert recipe I discovered last year. I learned this in Lh. Naifaru, when we visited my husband's relatives on that island.
We went there for a cousin's wedding and they made this for the wedding reception. I loved the way the whole community came together to cook for the wedding.  Later I asked my husband's aunt if she could show me how she made it, with trial and error we tried but the end was a bit disastrous as there was too much-condensed milk.
It was later after coming home to Male' I realized the white custard was a lot like my sister-in-law Rim's Oreo pudding. So I tried the custard base recipe and then added slightly cooked carrots. You can use thinly sliced Kanamadhu or although here  I added some slivers of almonds for the extra texture.

Recipe: Carrot Pirinee

Serves about 6

600ml full cream milk
3/4 cups of condensed milk
30g cornflour (cornstarch)
1-2 tbsp rose water
1/2 cup grated carrot
a handful of  almonds or Kanamadhu, thinly sliced

Heat a pan of water and bring to a boil. Add the carrots and then remove after 1 minute. This is just to soften, and since its grated, it won't take too long. Drain and set aside.

In a saucepan, mix milk, condensed milk, and cornflour and cook over low heat, stirring continuously. The mixture will start to just slightly thickened.

Taste, add a tablespoon or two of sugar if you prefer it sweeter.

Stir, and then add in the carrots and rose water. Quickly switch off and transfer to a serving dish and cool.

 Once cool, chill the mixture for an hour or two before serving.






Comments

  1. Looks creamy and I bet it's going to be very delicious! Have a great celebration of Eid with your family, Nammi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a wonderful Eid :)
    Yummy and delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eid mubarak to you and family this dessert looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice pudding and I love rose in anything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....