Cheesy tuna and vegetable croquettes


 During Ramadhan, some of us forget to eat our vegetables. I don't know about you but if you think about it, in the old days the only time a vegetable would go into our bodies is in mas huni, non of the snacks had any form of vegetable in except cutlets and bis keemiya. According to Jamie Oliver, potato is not a vegetable it is a starch so I guess it doesn't count. 

So each Ramadhan I try to add a snack that has a vegetable in it, so today I am sharing a recipe for a tuna and vegetable croquette. 

In Tarla Dalal's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook, there is a recipe for vegetable croquettes. So I took that as the base for my recipe. Being Maldivian I know most of us would want a fish going into this so I added a small amount of tuna just to satisfy the husband's palette.  I used a frozen vegetable mix, which makes life so much easier as it is cheaper, less time to prep. You can also use canned vegetable mix, which is also available in most shops, big or small. Everything is mixed up and cooked on a stove top to release its flavours and then cooled and shaped into croquettes. 


Then  I slipped a cube of mozzarella cheese into the centre of the croquette. So these need to be fried just before serving as they need to be warm when you serve them so you can enjoy the stringy cheese. If it goes cold the joy of eating stringy cheese is gone. So make ahead, but leave the deep frying until it is almost time to break your fast.

Of course, this is breaded and fried so makes the perfect snack for all ages. Be sure to have some chilli sauce or ketchup to serve with them. 

Comments

  1. You can't beat a golden crunchy croquette and the combination of cheese, veggies and tuna is spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....