Devilled Chicken

 


So long time ago  I made devilled chicken and after returning back home I realized my devilled chicken was a bit different and the photo was pretty bad so I decided to take it off and redo the recipe. Now here is the thing, I am not sure what to call it? is it devilled chicken or chilli chicken? 

My little one was claiming it tasted like devilled chicken when I served it alongside vegetable fried rice. But it has similarities with chili chicken.  I was following my previous devilled chicken recipe the only difference being I deep-fried my chicken before adding it to the sauce.

So let us go on with devilled chicken right?


Yield: 4-6

Author: Nammi

Devilled chicken

Ingredients

Chicken
  • ( 350g -400g) boneless chicken ( 2 large chicken breast pieces  or  4 thighs) cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tsp corn flour
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated ( see note below)
  • 1/2 inch piece ginger, grated (see note below)
  • 1/2 tsp dried red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • oil for deep frying
Sauce
  • 1 small green bell pepper
  • 1/2 a large red bell pepper ( if small use the whole pepper)
  • 1 medium onion, cut into chunks and layers separated
  • 1/2 inch piece of ginger, cut into thin strips
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2-3 green chillies
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves
  • 1 tsp chilli powder mixed with a few tablespoons of water
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp tomato sauce
  • 3 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp corn flour ( corn starch , dissolved in 1 cup water )

Instructions

Chicken
  1. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients except the chicken and then mix this into the chicken pieces and set aside for a few minutes.
  2. Heat oil for deep frying.
  3. Drop the chicken pieces into the hot oil and deep fry until lightly golden and cooked through.
  4. Drain on a colander.
Sauce
  1. In a wok, heat oil, add the ginger and garlic, stir fry for 1 minute and then add the peppers, green chillies and onions and stir fry 2 minutes.
  2. Lower the heat, add the chilli powder mixture, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and curry leaves, and stir fry on high heat.
  3. Return the chicken to the wok and mix well, then bring the heat to medium, stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir fry for another 5 minutes. Taste add salt to taste. The sauce should be nice and glossy.

Notes:

You can use 1 heaped teaspoon of store bought ginger garlic paste instead .

Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlime

Comments

  1. Name matters not to me :-) It looks delicious and I love spicy food. A perfect dish for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken looks yumm and inviting!!
    Thanks for dropping by my space, we have a similar blog meaning :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....