Hummus

 


So many conflicts happening around the world these days. The conflict and oppression in Palestine. The refugees from Syria, Rohingya, the situation in Kashmir, and the camps for Uighur Muslims really made me sick and the death of an innocent Muslim family in Canada. Not to mention the Covid crisis that just doesn't seem to end. Also made me feel thankful that we get to live in a peaceful country.

As a child growing up in the 80s  we didn't have many TV stations and no cable TV but with the limited resources, our local channel still showed the news and one continuous story that always comes up is the story of Palestine. I remember teenage kids throwing pebbles and rocks at soldiers, who held guns and now it is still the same, and only recently did I learn the full story of what is going on. Innocent lives are lost on both sides but most particularly on one side. A whole culture, ethnicity and community is being wiped out. 

So I looked up the only way I could think of to understand the culture and country, and that was through food.  I decided to try some recipes from Palestine. 

So I decided to upload a recipe as well and decided to make some Hummus. I know hummus is made in a lot of  Middle Eastern countries... 

In Palestine, Hummus is served with Taboon bread, cucumber, tomatoes, and olives from the fields. 

 Hummus is a dip or can be used as a spread even, made up of chickpeas, tahini,  olive oil, and some lime juice.  Some add a clove of garlic even. I have seen so many varieties of Hummus, Roasted pepper ones, beetroot, butternut, and even herby ones. But nothing beats the taste of the original. My kids love this as a snack with toasted flatbread or toast, cucumber, and carrot sticks. 


Yield: 1 cup
Author: Nammi

Hummus

Ingredients

  • 1 cup boiled chickpeas or canned chickpeas
  • 2 tsp tahini ( see note below if you don't have any)
  • 1 fat clove of garlic
  • 6 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup water 
  • Juice of half  a lime
  • salt to taste
  • extra olive oil for garnish  and preserving
  • paprika and coriander leaves for garnish (optional)

Instructions

  1. Place the chickpeas in a blender along with garlic, pinch of salt, tahini, olive oil, and 1/3 cup water and blend. 
  2. If you like it chunky stop at chunky, I prefer it smooth so I used the remaining water to make a smooth paste. 
  3. Taste, add lime juice, and adjust salt. 
  4. Spoon into a bowl, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle a little paprika if you like and coriander or even parsley for colour. 
  5. Enjoy with cucumber and carrot sticks and some flatbread. 

Notes:

If you don't have tahini, toast 2 tsp of sesame seeds in a dry frying pan and add to the chickpeas in the blender.

Leave it out if you don't have tahini or sesame seeds. It will still taste great!

Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. The older I get, the more grateful I am, for either people or small little things in life. This way, I feel happier and healthier. Sadly, there are still pointless wars in the world...blood, death...what for? Live and let live!
    Hummus is one of my favourite dips. Yours is so creamy and beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....