Kulhi roshi 1 ( spicy bread crisps)


 
I am not fond of cookies. I prefer chips or spicy snacks. I love all local snacks, especially Kulhi Roshi.Usually, we would receive cans of such snacks from my aunts in Kulhudufushi or now from my husband's relatives from Naifaru. But it's been a while and I was craving something spicy to snack on. So I called up my aunt, Kdhatha, to ask her how to make Kulhi Roshi, a spicy crispy flatbread chip. Now different islands use different spices to make them. My aunt told me how to make lonumirus ( chili paste ) flavored ones. 

To make them you have to make a spice mix. I made a paste of garlic, onion, dried chillies, curry leaves, cumin and peppercorns with a little lime juice and whizzed in a spice blender.  I minced some smoked tuna, some use canned tuna nowadays but I don't think it gives much fish taste compared to smoked tuna. 



Then sifted some flour with some salt, a little oil and added the spice mix, smoked tuna and a little warm water and mixed it well  till I had a nice dough. 
Rolled it out thinly. Have to make it as thin as possible, I wish I had my pasta maker so if you have one use that.  Or use a rolling pin. Cut out circles using a drinking glass. 



Heat oil for deep frying,  once hot, reduce heat to medium-low and fry the prepared dough circles in batches till dark golden. Drain on kitchen paper.


After draining, again lay it out on a tray with kitchen paper or towel and make sure all oil is drained. Cool and store in an airtight tin or container. 


Author: Nammi

Kulhi roshi

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 valhomas fillet ( see note below)
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 8 dried red chillies
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 12 curry leaves
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1/3 cup hot water
  • oil for deep frying

Instructions:

  1. Place the onion , garlic, curry leaves, spices and 1/2 tsp salt into  a spice blender and blend to a rough paste.  Add lime juice and mix well. Set aside. 
  2. In to a large bowl, sift flour and 1 tsp salt.  Make a well in the centre. 
  3. Mince the valhomas very well and then add into the well, along with the prepared spice paste and oil. Mix this into the flour and again make a well.
  4. Now pour water a little at a time until the mixture starts to come together. 
  5. Knead well and cover with a damp cloth and let it rest 10 minutes.
  6. Dust a work surface with flour, divide the dough into 3 to four balls and roll each dough ball as thin as possible. 
  7. Using a drinking glass cut circles of the dough. 
  8. Bring a pan of oil for deep frying, once the oil is hot, reduce heat to  medium  and drop the dough circles into the oil
  9. Fry till dark golden. Drain on  kitchen towel or paper. 
  10. After frying all the circles, drain them again on a fresh kitchen towel  or new paper towels to make sure all the oil is drained. 
  11. Store in an empty can with a good lid or an airtight container. 

Notes:

I prefer to use fresh valhomas from the market if you are using the store-bought one, slice them very thinly and soak in hot water and mince very well. If you don't have any kind of smoked tuna use canned tuna although I don't really like the taste of it.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. They look so crisp and great. I love all the flavours that you have incorporated into them. Must be very delicious and I would probably snack on them all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like spicy, crispy tings, so this is perfect for me. Neat recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to me, crispy and yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....