Nigella's Chicken and Pea tray bake


Nigella Lawson's  Chicken and pea traybake caught my eye on Instagram during this lockdown. Even though the strict measures are easing down, you still don't want to let your guard down. 
One thing I always store in my freezer is some form of chicken along with the usual fresh tuna fillets, frozen peas, and cheese. 
So when I  saw the recipe I  gave it a try.  unlike other recipes where the peas are supposed to remain green, this one turned a bit of an army green but still tasted delicious.  I didn't have chicken thighs, we don't get chicken thighs over here, so I used chicken drumsticks. Nigella used leeks , no onions and garlic to flavor the peas. 

Being Maldivian I knew I had to add a hint of chilli so dusted some chilli flakes on the chicken along with pepper when seasoning. I don't use wine so replaced with some chicken stock. 
It went down well with the family and was so easy and simple to make and I just had a roasting tray to wash up well along with the pot I used to cook the mashed potatoes to serve alongside it. 

Linkin my post to IHCC's Needs must continue cooking theme. 



Recipe slightly adapted from Nigella.com


Yield: 4
Author: Nammi

Chicken and Pea tray back

Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 75 mins

Ingredients:

  • 8 pieces of chicken drumsticks
  • 1 1/2  cup frozen peas
  • 2 fat cloves of garlic, grated
  • 1 tsp chilli flakes
  • 1/2 tsp thyme or dried herbs
  • 1//2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large leek or 2 if small, cut into large pieces
  • 1 chicken stock cube
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • salt to taste

Instructions:

  1. Remove the skin of the drumsticks and score across the skin with the knife. Season with salt and pepper and  1/2 the dried chilli flakes, add 2 tbsp olive oil and mix well. Set aside.
  2. Mix the stock cube into the hot water and let it dissolve. 
  3. In a large baking tray or roasting tray, add the frozen peas,  leeks, garlic, the remaining chilli flakes, thyme or dried herbs, ground black pepper and salt and 2 tbsp olive oil. Mix and spread evenly on the tray. Pour the chicken stock into the peas. 
  4. Arrange the chicken on top and pop into a preheated oven at 180- 200 Degrees C oven, for about 45 minutes.  
  5. Turn the chicken pieces halfway through the cooking and toss the peas a little. 
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator





Comments

  1. It looks like a very delicious and satisfying meal. I had some roasted chicken thighs today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a terrific dish! I like spicy, so I'm always in favor of chilli. :-) Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll bookmark this recipe. I am a huge fan of Nigella and this one looks like a winner for our dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this family-friendly Nigella recipe. I bet the kids would love this one! I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....