Roasting chicken for leftovers


So today's post is not a recipe post. We are living in a rather strange time these days. More like inside a science fiction movie right?. So far no community-related cases here in the  Maldives, Alhamdulillah, but the country is in lockdown, well almost.
I miss my weekly shopping, even though I live right next to a supermarket I haven't stepped out of the house for 2 weeks. But thankfully our supermarkets are still stocked with food although fresh vegetables are running low as most airlines have stopped and all countries are on lockdown.

It's best to avoid indulging and instead use frugal ways to prevent food waste by turning leftovers into delicious meals.

Now today's post is about making leftovers out of roast chicken.  I have quite a lot of roast chicken recipes, but when making this post I followed a Julia Child recipe. You can follow that or any of my roast chicken recipes.

I roasted 2 chickens. We are a family of 4, two adults, one teenager ( 13yrs) and an 8-year-old, and we all love a good roast chicken leg. So its always 2 chickens in this house when roasting. After roasting and making gravy and all, I turned my attention to separating my roast.


As you can see I have a pile of chicken leg pieces, wings and shredded breast meat.


The chicken leg, was our dinner for that day, with gravy and some broccoli, I always have a stash of blanched and frozen broccoli in the freezer, any green vegetable would do or even fried rice.

The wings became an afternoon tea snack for the boys. I sauteed some garlic and added some tomato sauce (ketchup) and tossed them in to warm them up since the wings were stored in the fridge.


Next, my favourite part of this whole roasting is the breast meat. I shredded the meat, after roasting and cooling, placed it in a zip lock bag ( you can even place it in individual plastic containers or bags) arranged in a flat layer and popped it into the freezer. I will use it for chicken dishes. For pizza toppings, into pasta, make curry puffs or even make a quick pilaf, or into a sandwich. Just take small portions of it and defrost it in the fridge or countertop or microwave and cook.

Hope this helps, try and stay indoors,  wash your hands often with soap and don't touch your face! Stay safe!

Comments

  1. I am going to make some roasted chicken thighs tomorrow for the lunch. Thanks for the great leftover ideas!
    Here we have more than 2000 death already. A scary time :-/// You too stay safe, Nammi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....