Coconut rocks


If you have visited Sri Lanka before, then you must be familiar with these sugary delights. What I love about this is it uses two ingredients, well three if you count the food colouring, which as you can see I seem to have used a little too much. Usually, these are either pink or green. In the Maldives we have something similar called huni gulha, which I found takes a lot of time to make and one I still haven't mastered. So these are perfect  to whip up when in need of a sweet treat.

The original recipes actually use equal parts sugar but I  reduced to amount a bit and it is still quite sweet. Use coarse ground coconut not too fine ground.


The sugar is melted with a little water and food colouring and then once the sugar mixture starts to boil,


add the coconut  and  a little knob of butter and stir for about 20 minutes or till the mixture starts to come off the sides and almost all liquid is gone.




almost there and it is ready to be poured into the tray

Pour into a well-oiled metal tray and smooth it out.


Let it cool before cutting into small squares.
Recipe Adapted from this recipe and from this one from Youtube.


Yield: 16 to 20 squares
Author:

Coconut rocks

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups coarse ground coconut, that's about 1 and a half small coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cups water
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • a pinch of ground cardamon
  • a little pink or green food colouring
  • about 1/2 tablespoon of butter 

Instructions:

How to cook Coconut rocks

  1. Oil a 7x7 inch metal tray. Set aside. 
  2. In a non-stick pan, add water, sugar and food colouring.
  3. Cook over medium heat and let the sugar melt and starts to bubble. 
  4. Add the coconut and butter and stir continuously till the liquid is almost gone. 
  5. Remove and quickly pour into the prepared tray, smooth it out and let it cool. 
  6. Halfway during cooling, run a knife to make squares so it is easier to cut once it is completely cooled. 
  7. Once cool cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. 

Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. I love coconut and any treats made with it. These rocks look like a perfect afternoon pick-me-up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of kashata za nazi that I made for MENA cooking club for the country Djibouti. But there I used dry desiccated coconut but with fresh, I bet it tastes better!And yeah I skipped the colour as I didn't have.:-D Kids and adults will love this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....