Army stew


The Korean Ramen craze hit the Maldives somewhere in 2019. I couldn't handle the spicy heat from some of the packets but I love to watch the recipes showcased in  Wife's Cuisine on youtube and of course, Maangchi both of them showcase a lot of Korean recipes.
  One recipe I came across was Army stew. Army stew is a  more of a stew pot, where literally everything goes in, there is sausage, luncheon meat, ground beef, baked beans etc, finishing off with a slice of cheese. So I dug a little to discover that this is more of a fusion stew, a dish born after the Korean War. With limited food supply, the Koreans used some of the processed food they found from the US Military bases in Korea.
I used the yellow pack of Ramen which said cheese, but I didn't use the cheese mix found in it.


 I used a  slice of cheese. I added some cabbage as I have seen in another recipe, didn't use too much-processed meat only stuck to sausage and didn't use any beef as I didn't have any. I had a mini can of baked beans if you have a regular can use half of the can and store the rest in a clean glass bottle for another day.


I used the chilli paste found in the packet and mixed it with some minced garlic as I have seen on YouTube.

Recipe adapted  from the recipe  Army Stew from the YouTube channel Wife's cuisine.


Yield: 4
Author: Nammi

Army Stew

Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 35 mins

Ingredients:

  • 1 packet ramen noodles ( yellow packet, cheese flavor)
  • 1 small onion or half a large onion, thickly sliced
  • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 3 sausages, sliced diagonally and washed in water
  • 1/4 of a small cabbage, roughly chopped
  • 3 spring onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 can of baked beans
  • 1  chicken stock cube
  • 3 cups of water
  • 1 slice of sandwich cheese

Instructions:

  1. In a suitable pot, arrange the cabbage, onion, sausage, and spring onions. and baked beans. 
  2. Mix the chilli paste found in the packet with the garlic, and soy sauce and add this to the centre of the arranged ingredients.
  3. Dissolve the stock in water and pour this into the pan gently. Place on stovetop and bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
  4. Once it starts to boil add the noodles. 
  5. Let the noodles cook and then place the slice of cheese on top. Spoon some of the broth over the cheese and once the cheese melts, stir and serve immediately. 
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. What a delicious and comforting stew! It makes a perfect everyday meal. Have a great week ahead, Nammi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....