Apple Pie Toasties



The idea for this recipe came when I was watching season 8 of Masterchef Australia. In this episode of the series, the contestants were asked to create jaffles. A jaffle is an Australian word for a toasted sandwich or toastie.
 Jaffles are toasted sandwiches. Toasted in the sense it's toasted in those sandwich toasters or jaffle maker. There were some really delicious ones and one that really caught my eye was apple pie jaffle by Chloe.




So I decided to create my own.  I tried this twice. The first time I used green granny smith apples. The second time I used regular eating apples. I prefer the green apples as the slices were still in slices and didn't turn into mush.  So use green granny smith apples for this recipe.


The apple slices are cooked on the stovetop along with the sugars, a little butter and cornflour.  The cornflour makes the sauce thicker.


  Let the mixture cool and then spoon onto the sandwich bread slice and then top with another slice of bread and toast in the sandwich toaster or jaffle maker.


My sandwich toaster was completely destroyed and unfortunately for me, the trays were not removable.


 I had to manoeuvre it around the sink and finally figured it's easier to clean with a warm sponge and gently clean it. It takes time but better to save the toaster maker right?.  But it was so much worth the effort.


Yield: 4
Author:

Apple pie toasties

ingredients:

  • 8 slices of sandwich bread
  • 2 green apples
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar ( see note)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  tsp cornflour
  • butter or margarine

instructions:

How to cook Apple pie toasties

  1. Prepare the filling by peeling and coring the apples and slicing them. 
  2. Place in a small saucepan with the sugars,  cornflour and a little ( half a teaspoon of butter). Let the apples soften and the sauce reduce. Cool.
  3. Butter the bread slices and place them inside the sandwich toaster ( which has also been slightly buttered) with the buttered side of the bread facing out.
  4. Add some filling, place the second slice of bread on top, buttered side up,  then press the sandwich toaster down to cook.
  5. Carefully open the sandwich toaster, and use a bread knife to carefully remove any stuck pieces. 
  6. Remove the sandwiches to a plate, dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
  7. Warning: this is a messy one, so hope your sandwich toaster has one of those removable trays for easy cleaning.  using a warm damp sponge to clean the surfaces. 

NOTES:

+ If you dont have any brown sugar, use 1/2 cup of regular white sugar for this recipe.
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. I wish I could have one now with my morning tea! They look so very tempting, Nammi. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you have made these Apple toasties...Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....