Spiced Apple Cake


The first time I heard the name Yotam Ottolenghi was when the IHCC announced him as the featured chef. At that time I didn't have much time and didn't really participate in most of the events. But I started following his Instagram account.
I love his simple approach to food. So when my sister went to Bangkok I begged her to buy me his book, Simple.

I  found this recipe, Spiced apple cake and knew my family would love this one. First, it was a cake and I love spiced apples.


  The recipe called for sour cream but I used Greek yogurt instead as I didn't have sour cream and it is not easy to get it over here as well.  I reduced the recipe in half and baked it in an 8-inch  loose-bottomed round tin.

lined and buttered tin. If you dont have baking paper, buttered and lightly dust with flour
 
Make sure to have all the ingredients at room temperature before making the cake. Which means the butter should be soft. The easiest is to cut and measure the butter before softening or you will make a bit of a mess when measuring softened butter. I used only cinnamon to spice my apples.


The apples are sliced and then piled on top of the cake batter.


You might have noticed I weighed my yoghurt because I just couldn't figure out how much half of 3/4 was so I just placed a bowl on my scale, brought it to 0 and then measured in the yoghurt until I got 100g.

So this is my adapted version of Yotam Ottolenghi's spiced apple cake from his book.


Yield: 8

Spiced Apple Cake

Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour  Total time: 1 hour and 30 mins

ingredients:

Cake batter
  • 65g unsalted butter 
  • 75g sugar
  • 2 small eggs 
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 cup( 150g) plain flour
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 100g  yogurt ( thats roughly a little less than 1/2 cup )
Topping
  • 3 apples, I used this slightly tart apples I found in the market.  You can use that or green ones or a mix of green and firm red ones.
  • 65g sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

instructions:

Cake
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 Degrees C.  Butter and line( with baking paper an 8 inch loose bottomed  ( if you have one) round baking pan.
  2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add in salt and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar together lightly with a whisk or hand-held beater till creamy. 
  4. Whisk in eggs and vanilla essence.
  5. Add in half of the flour mixture, then half of the yoghurt mixture.  Then the remaining flour and yoghurt. Once the batter is made, pour it into the prepared tray. Set aside
  6. Peel, core, and slice the apples. Add into a bowl and mix in sugar and cinnamon.
  7. Pile the apples on the top of the cake batter. Push the apples a little gently. 
  8. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  
  9. Remove the tray from the oven, and set it aside for 20 minutes to cool before cutting to slices.
  10. Note: Ottolenghi suggests that you eat the cake within the day it is baked but for me, it tastes even better the next day even. 
Created using The Recipes Generator

Linkin this over to the Potluck for this month at I heart cooking club blog.

Comments

  1. Anything spiced, I fall flat! Hehe... this must be a yummy buttery cake with those stewed apple... Oh, I am salivating... what other spices did he use? I think I would love some cardamom and clove too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love just how easy to put this together and the result is just marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincident we both cook from Ottolenghi's SIMPLE. I love apple cake. Have to try this one! Shirley@EverOpenSauce

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good and i love how you adapt recipes to what you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to get my hands on Ottolenghi's Simple. This apple cakes looks delicious. Plus, I think since it has all the apples that makes it officially healthy. Cake for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....