SPICY BAKED BEANS WITH TUNA



Baked beans were never my thing.  But I have noticed that it's a staple in most buffet breakfast places I have visited.  My kids seem to like it and so does my husband so I wanted to make a spicier version of baked beans. After a few attempts, I have my version of baked beans with the addition of tuna as well, its Maldives we Maldivians can't seem to eat without it.  You can make this without the tuna as well.

The great thing about this recipe is its a good store cupboard staple.  Well, my kitchen always has the basics such as onion, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper, along with the spices and of course canned tuna. A can or two of baked beans is always in the cupboard for emergencies.

I know some of you might not be able to get some curry leaves then substitute with some coriander leaves. It might not taste the same but still gives a more curry taste compared to other herbs.



Yield: 4-6

 Spicy baked beans with tuna

Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins

ingredients:


  • 1 can Baked beans 
  • 1 can tuna
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/4 - 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • salt
  • 2-3 tbsp corn or sunflower oil

instructions:

  1. Heat oil in a saucepan, add onions and cook till they soften and go translucent.
  2. Add the curry leaves and garlic and saute' for 1 minute.
  3. Add ground spices, and the scotch bonnet ( leave it whole so you can take it out if you think the beans are getting too spicy).  Also, stir in the tomato paste. 
  4. Mix, adding a splash of water, about 1/4 cup,  to prevent the spices from burning.  
  5. Flake the tuna in and stir into the mixture
  6. Finally, stir in baked beans and stir. Cook covered till the spices flavour the beans and the mixture is thick and bubbling. 
  7. Serve warm with crusty bread 
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. Delicious! Have never thought of combining canned tuna and beans together. A great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea for a super quick lunch of dinner. I love baked beans, they are probably the only cooked things from the can that I eat. And combining them with canned tuna, which I also love, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. this will serve about 4 people. I usually make for my small family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing it out. You add it along with the spices, have added it in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....