Spiced Plum Pavlova



I love making pavlovas and  I love the reaction I get every time  I make one, especially to someone who has never eaten one. Last Ramadhan I started taking orders for pavlovas because  I felt not everyone likes cake and its the kind of dessert that really puts a smile on your face.

This particular recipe was inspired by a recipe by Lorraine Pascal. She used pears and other stone fruits in her recipe.  I changed it to just plums because I love plums and I love the ruby red colour of the poaching liquid.

plums, cinnamon, star anise and strip of orange rind

 I reduced the liquid so it was quite thick and syrupy and divine. I swirled some of the syrup into the cream and drizzled some on top as well.

yumm, I don't mind eating this straight from the bowl.

The secret to a good pavlova is time.  It is not something where you can keep opening and closing the oven to check if its done or not. because if you do open the oven while it is baking you will destroy the whole thing. It has to be baked in the bottom shelf at a low oven for 1- 1 1/2 hours. Switch off the oven and leave it inside the oven for another hour or two or even overnight.  I used to leave the door slightly open but I read somewhere that to get a nice crispy meringue shell the oven needs to be kept closed. Baking paper is a must as it helps to remove the meringue easily. I tried aluminum foil once but it just didn't work.

A neatly made meringue round. 

The topping and cream have to be added just before serving. I like to chill it a  bit right before serving.


Yield: 8

Spiced Plum Pavlova

prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour and 15 mins Total time: 1 hour and 45 mins

ingredients:

Spiced Plum Pavlova
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3/4 cups sugar ( use castor sugar or grind regular sugar)
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • 200ml whipping cream
For the Spiced Plums
  • 6 plums
  • 1 Star Anise
  • 1 strip of  orange rind
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup sugar

instructions:

Pavlova Base
  1. Take a very clean, preferably glass or metal bowl. To ensure that it's very clean and free of any oil or water, rub the cut side of a lime or lemon inside the bowl and also on the whisk. Wipe with a tissue. 
  2. Add the egg whites to the bowl.  Always crack the eggs separately so you don't drop a yolk in by mistake. 
  3. Using an electrical beater (which makes your life so much easier) beat the egg whites till they double in volume and are frothy. 
  4. Start adding sugar a spoonful at a time.  Beating after each time. 
  5. Beat the egg whites until you use up all the sugar and the egg whites are stiff. Try holding it upside down ( maybe on your husband's head )  If stiff the egg whites will hold its shape and remain in the bowl, if not you know what will happen, hahahaha.
  6. Carefully fold in cornflour into the egg white mixture
  7. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. If you want, you can draw a neat 8-inch circle and turn the paper so the ink side is down.  
  8. Pile the meringue mixture onto the prepared tray. Smooth it out into an 8-inch round.  
  9. Pop into the bottom shelf the preheated oven, ( oven should be preheated at 150 degrees C). 
  10. Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN.  After 1 hr 15 mins, switch off the oven and leave the pavlova inside the oven for at least 1 hour. Do not open the oven still.  Let it cool completely before removing from the oven.
Spiced Plum Topping
  1. Cut the plums in half, remove the stone, then cut each half into three to four wedges. 
  2. Add water into a small saucepan along with sugar, star anise,  cinnamon,  and orange rind. 

  3. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and then add the plums carefully.
  4. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the plums by straining the contents in the saucepan through a fine-mesh sieve, placed over a bowl Remove the spices and orange rind.  
  5. Pour the red liquid back into the saucepan and place it on the stove top and boil till the liquid is reduced and syrupy.  Set aside to cool
Assembling the Pavlova
  1. Remove the now cooled meringue base to a serving plate.
  2. Whip the cream till soft peaks.  swirl a tablespoon of the plum syrup into the cream.  Spread this on the meringue.
  3. Carefully pile the plums on top. Drizzle some syrup all over the top, not so much as it will make the meringue soggy. Chill for a few minutes before serving.

NOTES:

The oven should be preheated before your place your pavlova base into the oven.
The sugar should be completely dissolved into the meringue base. You can check by rubbing a bit of meringue between your fingers. You shouldn't feel any sugar bits.
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. This looks amazing and I love the colour contrast of bright red juicy plums against creamy white meringue. Excellent, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each time I see your pavlovas, I think to myself - why amn't I making them? Bah... I must, I must, I must, soon... The spiced plum variation sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i ever get to visit where you are I will come to make you one Insha allah

      Delete
  3. I love pavlova, and I am loving the idea of using spiced plums on it...the color is so pretty...
    Thanks for the recipe Nammi...have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your are a pro with pavlova and these are fun flavors

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....