Tandoori Roast Chicken



This is my version of a tandoori chicken. I have seen a lot of recipes and some have dried fenugreek leaves which I believe gives the tandoori chicken its unique taste.  But since it is something that's not easily available I choose not to include it in.
The word Tandoori actually refers to the oven that its cooked in, called a tandoor, which gives the chicken that smokey taste as well. But when you make it home the taste does tend to be different.  But anyway, the boys love it, which is the whole point of making it.

Recipe : Tandoori Roast Chicken

2 ( 1200g) chicken, skinned  and left whole
1 cup yogurt ( plain )
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala (homemade or store-bought)
1/2 tsp red food colouring
6 cloves garlic,
1/2 inch ginger
 salt About 1 level teaspoon

Grind the ginger and garlic into a paste with a few tablespoons of water.  Add into the yoghurt along with all the spices.

Make a few slashes across the chickens. Rub the marinade all over, and into the slashed areas.  Leave to marinate overnight or for a few hours.

Preheat the oven to  200 degrees C.  Once its hot, carefully arrange the chickens in a tray ( I like to use foil on the tray for easy cleaning.

Pop the tray into the oven. I like to turn the chicken for even cooking as my oven does give me trouble now and then.

Roast for about 45 minutes, till the juices run clear from the thigh when you cut it with a sharp knife.

Remove from oven, and leave to rest for 15 minutes.

Serve with some masala potatoes, and green chutney . or with Naan.




Comments

  1. I adore tandoori flavour! Your roasted chicken looks fingerlickingly good, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kasoori methi is what gives it that whole punch of it being tandoori chicken... you must try it next time... :) Love how your chicken looks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about making tandoori chicken myself soon, I have only had it once, a long time ago, made by some friends. I like your recipe, I will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love grilled chicken recipes. They are really great. I'll definately try this grilled chicken recipe this sunday. Even i haven a special tandoori chicken recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....