Sauteed Mushrooms on Toast with a Poached Egg



I am not a big breakfast person, and weekday breakfast time is a real rush, like in any house. We usually sit down for breakfast at 6 in the morning, I always make sure the boys leave for school with a full stomach.  It is usually bread or toast with eggs ( eggs are occasionally as the older one gags) and regular spreads such as Nutella and a banana each along with a glass of milk.
I usually sit with them, trying to wake up with a cup of coffee in hand and getting them to eat faster so they are out the door or rather one at a time as my husband can only take one at a time on his motorbike.  Once they all leave, I have my breakfast in peace and quiet LOL.

I love mushrooms but my kids don't so I rarely cook with them and when I do I usually sneak them in. So I love making these mushrooms on toast for breakfast. I saw how it's really done in Gordon Ramsey's Masterclass.  So far  I haven't been able to master the poached egg well, so I  sometimes use Jamie Oliver's kitchen hack to make a less messier poached egg.

Recipe :  Mushrooms On Toast With  Poached Egg.   recipe adapted  from Gordon Ramsey's Masterclass lessons.

4-6 button mushroom, sliced
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp  butter
pinch dried thyme
pinch ground pepper
salt

Slice of bread can use any bread of choice
1 egg
water to cook the egg
1 tbsp vinegar ( if making the regular method for poached egg)

First, heat a frying pan with olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms, along with the garlic. Toss and add thyme, pepper and salt.  Toss and cook over medium heat till the mushrooms soften. Then add a teaspoon of butter, toss and let it cook for a few more minutes.

While the mushrooms cook, heat a small saucepan with water. Take a small bowl, and lay a sheet of cling film in the bowl. Crack the egg into the bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Gather the sides of the cling film , and twist and tight a knot to secure the egg inside. Click here to view how Jamie has done.

Pop the wrapped-up egg into boiling water, bring the heat down to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Remove, and carefully remove the cling film.  click here to find different ways to make poached eggs. ( ok so he doesn't use vinegar in the water, I can't do without it so I used vinegar, sorry Jamie)

Push the mushrooms to one side in the frying pan and place the slice of bread in the pan. Let the bread absorb some of the oils in the frying pan ( or u can just pop it in the toaster oven). I like to do this because this way the bread absorbs all the flavours.

Remove the bread onto a plate. Top with the mushrooms and carefully place the poached egg on top.  Enjoy  your breakfast

Linkin this with my sisters at the  Muslimah Food bloggers for this month's challenge, Breakfast!! Don't forget to check the other recipes as well.





Comments

  1. That looks very delicious and actually perfect for the dinner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son doesn't like eggs either. Although when he was little he did. I love my coffee in the morning too. I sneak mushrooms into dishes when I can but my husband and son are not fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of poached egg as a healtjy option for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love the combination of mushrooms and eggs! They go well with each other amazingly... I have never tried poached eggs since it is a bit messier to eat and you will need a bread to mop it up, hehe... I don't know if I can accept that cling film in boiling water though... I may still try with the normal way of popping in the egg with a big prayer... hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious!! Though I love mushrooms, have never tried them for breakfast. Will try soon..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy breakfast! I would love this anytime, not only for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had mushrooms on toast.. looks yumm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....