Leek and Lime Leaf Rice



Our staple form of starch is rice. My eldest son loves rice, but sometimes you do get bored of eating rice and curry every day and fried rice.  A few weeks back, I had just a sorry-looking leek when I looked inside my refrigerator to make dinner.
I had some lime leaves stashed at the back of my freezer ( they stay fresh like that for ages if you keep in the freezer). My son loved the rice so much that   I made it again for my whole family to serve alongside a chicken dish. The kids loved it,  I think it is the appetizing perfume of the lime leaf that made it a big hit with the kids.

Recipe : Lime leaf and Leek Rice, recipe inspired by  Leek and Lemongrass Rice by  Fiona Beckett  from the book Sausages and Mash

For a big group of about 6 people

2 large leeks
3-4 kaffir  lime leaves, torn into two
2 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 cups rice, long grain such as basmati
4 cups  chicken or vegetable stock or water ( you can use  stock cubes)
2 tbsp  vegetable oil
light soy sauce ( about 2 tbsp)
salt

1. Trim the leeks. Wash well. It's easier if you finely slice them first, place in a colander and give a good rinse.

2. Wash your rice under running water till water comes clean. Set aside

3. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan or deep frying pan, preferably nonstick.  Add leeks and stir fry till they go soft and translucent.

4. Add garlic and lime leaves and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Stir in rice and stir till the rice grains are well coated with the leeks mixture.

5. Drizzle some soy sauce and pour stock. Put a tiny pinch of salt and bring to a boil.  Once it boils simmer over medium heat till the water is absorbed then bring the heat down low and cook another 2 minutes, till the water is completely absorbed. Then switch it off, and place the lid on for 5 minutes.  Fluff up the rice and serve.

Comments