Aunty Naila's Fish curry


 I almost thought of shutting down the blog, got so mad about my email getting hacked !!! So please don't take any notice of any peanutts any more or someone using my real name which was used in the mail!!! Hopefully, my blog will stay safe, does anyone know how to get it copyrighted or something?

So here is the first recipe by Nammi,  :)  Enjoy !!

 No, she is not my aunt, nor am I related to her, but she is someone I know,  a larger-than-life character, a great teacher, a social worker, and a great cook, well known for her cookbooks, locally :). I  had the pleasure of knowing her personally and one of my memories is that she would come to visit my mum armed with her handbag, plops herself on the joali, a garden chair ( sort of) made of rope, hands us out a handful of sweets and shoos us off saying she wants to chat with my mum :).  I found this recipe in an old cookbook of hers and decided to try her fish curry. It is tasty and delicious, so I knew I had to post this recipe.

Adapted recipe  from Zeenaru( a Maldivian cookbook, sorry it is a local book not in English)

250g -300g fresh tuna fillet or other firm fish,  ( cut into small cubes)
1 medium onion, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic
1/2 " piece ginger
6 curry leaves
1 pandan leaf, cut into large pieces
1 level tsp pureed tamarind or a small knob of tamarind
2tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 scotch bonnet or 2 green chillies cut in half length wise ( optional)
1/3cup packed coconut milk
about 400 ml water
oil


1. Heat a dry frying pan over low heat and once it is hot add your coriander seeds and cumin seeds, toast for about 1-2 minutes, don't let the cumin seeds burn!!!.  Pour into a motor and pestle.

2. Into the motor and pestle add the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, and turmeric along with the roasted spices and pound to a smooth paste using 1-2 tbsps water. you can use an electric grinder for this.

3. In a pot, heat some oil about 2-3  tbsp, add the onions and saute' till translucent. Stir in curry leaves and pandan leaf.

4. Add the spice paste and stir fry in the onion mixture for about 1-2 minutes to release the flavours.  Add a little water to prevent it from burning.

5. Carefully add the tuna cubes along with the chillies if using.  Pour the required amount of water( you and the tamarind.  Bring to a boil then simmer, covered for about 8-10 minutes till the fish is cooked through.

6. Stir in coconut milk , cook 1 minute, taste , add salt to taste and switch off heat. If you find it too spicy add a little sugar.

Serve with roshi or chappati or any other flatbread  or plain cooked rice with a nice salad on the side.  Enjoy!

Comments