Parmesan cornbread


I love checking out supermarkets and local markets when I visit other states of Malaysia and even other countries. If it's not me and someone else from my family is going abroad I always request something food related whether its a cookbook or for ingredients that are not easily available here.
 During my last visit to Penang, another more developed area of Malaysia, I bought a packet of cornmeal. Ever since I bought it, I have been waiting to try and make corn bread, something which I have never made before, but have heard so much of. First I used the cornmeal to make Reni's delicious chili pie, by the way.  

I found this recipe on a diebetic living magazine, I bought it before my dad's last visit as he is always trying to control his diabetes. His sugar is quite controlled but sometimes it tends to go up and down. Anyway, I decided to try the recipe in that magazine.  It was delicious and nice and soft.

The recipe is as taken from "our best diabetic recipes magazine", I did the same as the original recipe but omitted a few things which I didn't have such as bulgur and fresh basil ( was out of basil when I made it), you can get the original recipe here or just check out the recipe below.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup finely sliced spring onions
2 tbsp olive oil or regular cooking oil

Also in the recipe but not included in mine: 1/4 cup bulgur ( soaked in boiling water) and 2 tablespoons chopped basil)

1. Grease a loaf tin with oil and dust with flour.  Preheat oven to about 200 degrees Celsius.

2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients, that is .. flour, parmesan, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, baking powder, mix and make a well in the centre.

3. In a smaller bowl, mix all the wet ingredients, eggs, milk, oil and spring onions. Beat well and pour into the centre of the bowl with dry ingredients.

4. Mix with a wooden or metal spoon till mixed well but still lumpy ( add the bulgur while adding the egg mixture, if using).

5. Pour into loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes till nice and golden and a toothpick comes clean. Cool in the tin outside on a wire rack.

Still got some  more corn meal left , got any ideas how to use it?

Comments