Milk Toffee

 

Oh yeah, I can see half of you sitting up just by the name. I love milk toffee but this is the first time I made them. It does take a bit of arm work but it is so worth it. Anyone who has been to Sri Lanka falls in love with these delicious little treats and I always look forward to a packet of these whenever anyone from the family heads to Colombo. 

I found this recipe in a Srilankan cookbook that my mother had, and I also checked this youtube video to check how much I have to cook this. In the cookbook, there was no butter added but I added it after seeing it in the video. Some added cardamon and cashew nuts int the mixture but I prefer my toffee plain. 

This milk toffee is made using condensed milk which is cooked with lots of sugar ( yes extra sugar 😜)T Once the mixture thickens and bubbles after a good 45minutes or so ( for me it felt like hours !) , add the vanilla and butter, stir continuously. ( I know butter is hard to come by these days so leave it out if you can't get any.  It will still set and you will get  a nice milk toffee)

 The mixture by now is thick and caramel coloured. 




This one is almost ready, in another 10 minutes it will be ready to be poured to set

The mixture is starting to come off from the sides. Now remove, and pour into a well-oiled metal baking tray and leave to cool. Have way through cooling, mark into small squares with a sharp knife. Then once is completely cool, cut the squares out and store in a clean airtight container. 


Author: Nammi

Milk Toffee

Prep time: Cook time: 1 hour  15 minutes (approximately) plus 2 hours to cool Total time: 2 H 15 mins

Ingredients:

  • 1 can condensed milk (gerikiru)
  • 350g sugar
  • 1 can of water ( using the empty condensed milk can)
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp softened (room temperature) butter, (optional)
  • vegetable oil to grease the metal baking pan

Instructions:

  1. Generously oil an 8-inch round metal baking tray. Set aside.
  2. Pour condensed milk and sugar into a saucepan, add water into the empty condensed can, swirl it and pour this into the saucepan.
  3. Place on the stovetop over a low flame. Cook stirring continuously for about 40 minutes, by now the mixture will be reducing and getting thicker. 
  4. Add vanilla and butter and continue stirring till the sides dry up and start to come off the side of the pan and the mixture is light brown. Once the colour deepens slightly,  pour it into the prepared tin, smooth it out and leave to sit on the kitchen counter. 
  5. Once it is set but still warm, make lines on the toffee so it is easier to cut once it is cooled and set completely. 
  6. Once cooled completely, cut into small squares and store in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @chilliesandlime on instagram and hashtag it #chilliesandlimeblog
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. I bet it is very delicious and addictive too. It looked already very good in the pot :-) I would probably keep tasting it...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....