Turmeric and mushroom oatmeal with spinach



I prefer savoury breakfasts to sweet ones. I am not a jam and bread kind of person but I love savoury breakfasts. This is one of my favourite breakfasts to whip up once the boys head to school. I know the photo isn't the most prettiest but really how can I take a pretty picture of oatmeal when it looks like slop but believe me when I say it is delicious!!

The mushrooms are first cooked in a little oil along with a clove of garlic and a little salt.  Once they start to soften I add the chillies, turmeric and a bit of pepper and water. Once the water starts to simmer I add oatmeal, I use fast-cooking oatmeal and throw in some spinach. Let it cook, stirring it along, it is done in 5 minutes and adds a splash of milk and salt to taste, and it is ready to eat.


Yield: 1

Turmeric and mushroom oatmeal with spinach

ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
  • 2-3 large mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 green chilli, finely sliced
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • salt
  • handful of baby spinach (see note)
  • a little milk
  • 2 tbsp oil ( vegetable oil or olive oil)

instructions:

How to cook Turmeric and mushroom oatmeal with spinach

  1. Heat a small saucepan, add oil and garlic and let the garlic start to give a slight aroma, then add the mushrooms and pinch of salt and stir fry to soften the mushrooms a little.
  2. Add water, and turmeric and let it come to a boil.  Once it starts to boil, stir in the oatmeal and baby spinach, and let it simmer, stirring occasionally. 
  3. Once the oatmeal thickens ( takes just 2-3 minutes, stir add a splash of milk, and then stir for a minute and then remove from heat.
  4. Serve warm. 

NOTES:

If you don't have baby spinach you can chop up some regular spinach, or use some moringa leaves or just leave it out.
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. What a great combo of flavours! I must give this a try soon as I too prefer the savoury treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh totally delicious! I make something similar but for lunch, with an addition of chicken and capsicum, and it is always tasty and filling... Love this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the addition of msuhrooms to oatmeal..looks delish !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on my mood whether I want a sweet or savory breakfast. However this would surely satisfy on those savory days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....