Kashikeyo Kandhi ( sweet screwpine fruit dessert soup)


 
 Here in the Maldives, before publishing a book I have to get an ISBN and get the book approved by the board. To be certified, I had to get the book checked by one of the well-known language writers or scholars. Luckily my uncle was able to get Mr. Shakyb, or Shakybbe to most Maldivians, to take a look. He gave some really positive reviews and was very thorough when checking my book. His only complaint " you have written so many delicious dessert recipes but missed out on my favourite Kashikeyo Kandhi recipe".
Even left a comment at the bottom of the page "?Kashikeyo Kandhi?" So that got me looking around for this recipe. I love Kashikeyo or screwpine fruit. I prefer the pink one, as the pink ones are more perfumey and really give the dessert a heady colour.

my aunt showing me how to slice kashikeyo 

Anyway,  I asked an aunt but she said she added condensed milk instead of coconut milk, so I decided not to follow that method. I used the usual kandhi technique but used ground rice instead of cornstarch. Ground rice was more commonly used to make Kandhi in the old days before corn starch was introduced to the Maldives.

In case you are wondering, I have already introduced a couple of kandhi recipes on this blog. A kandhi is like a sweet dessert soup which is served here in the Maldives, especially during the old days on special occasions. You can click here for fuhfoo kandhi recipe here and pumpkin kandhi here.

Unlike the regular kandhi, I cooked the screwpine and strained it, ( using the method found in Naila Kalayfaan's recipe book). I think she used this method because screwpine can sometimes have a lot of stringy bits and can be a bit unpleasant.

straining kashikeyo

Then the strained liquid is used to make the kandhi. This is the first time I have made this so hopefully, I have done justice to it.

When adding rice flour, add 2 tbsp first and if you prefer it more thicker add one more tablespoon. 


Author:

Kashikeyo Kandhi

ingredients:

  • 4-5 kashikeyo, peeled and sliced ( should make 2 cups)
  • 6-8 cardamon pods, ( ends snipped off)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
  • water 
  • 2-3 tbsp ground rice flour ( I used store bought, see note to make your own)
  • 1 pandan leaf
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk ( packed or canned)
  • 2 tbsp rose water

instructions:

  1. Place the Kashikeyo in about 2 cups of water in a saucepan and place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil and then simmer till the kashikeyo is really soft.
  2. Strain through a sieve, collect the liquid by placing a bowl or jug. Squeeze as much liquid from the contents. Discard the solids on the colander.
  3. Return the strained liquid into the saucepan. It should measure about 2 cups, add an extra 1 cup of water into this, along with a torn and knotted pandan leaf, 3/4 cup of sugar, cardamon pods and 2 tbsp rice flour. 
  4. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, so the rice flour doesn't clump up into a ball at the bottom. Stir till the sugar dissolves and the kandhi is slighly thick. If you like it more thicker add the remaining tablespoon of rice flour , keeping in mind that it will thicken even after you finish cooking. 
  5. Taste and add more sugar to your liking. Stir in coconut milk. Cook another 2 minutes on low heat.  Finally, add rose water and then stir. 
  6. Switch off heat and cool.
  7. Serve warm.

NOTES:

To make rice  flour, soak some basmati rice in water for 2-3 hours, drain and leave to sun in a sunny spot. Or place in the oven on a very low heat till it dries but not brown. Grind and store. Will keep for a few days.
Created using The Recipes Generator

Comments

  1. Never tried this ... But this looks so good and an interesting recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias por tu post, me ha gustado mucho leerte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is your book coming out? I'd love a copy! I live in australia though...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....