Chicken Tikka Masala Pasta



I came across this during my trip to Bangkok.  My hubby ordered this dish at Mrs Balbir's, an Indian restaurant in Central world, near the supermarket on the 7th floor.  It's basically pasta mixed with chicken tikka masala.  

I tried this several times after coming back home. I didn't want my pasta sauce to taste too curry-ish.  After a few tries I am happy with the result.
I referred to various chicken tikka masala recipes I had, so I can't pinpoint and say I followed just one recipe book. I used boneless breast pieces although I would much prefer to use thigh fillets but we don't get boneless thigh fillets.

Recipe : Chicken Tikka Masala Pasta inspired by the Chicken Tikka Masala Pasta served at Mrs Balbir's 

For the chicken tikka:
2 boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes ( if you can find boneless thigh fillets use those as they end up more juicer and succulent and doesn't try out about 4-6 fillets would do)
2-3 tbsp spoons plain yogurt
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp  garam masala ( I used shop-bought)
A few drops of red food colouring ( optional)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder ( cayenne)
salt
2 garlic cloves, grated
1" piece ginger, grated

For the Sauce :
1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil
tiny  piece ginger, grated ( about 1/2 tsp)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cup passata ( or puree a can of tomatoes )
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sugar
salt
finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
Handful of parmesan cheese, grated
spaghetti ( enough to serve 3-4 person, about 250g)

1. First prepare the chicken,  place the chicken cubes in a large bowl or zip-lock bag and add all the ingredients mentioned for the chicken tikka. ( not the sauce ingredients mind you). Mix well and place in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or overnight.

2. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5,  skewer the marinated chicken cubes onto skewers ( bamboo or metal ones) place in a tray in the oven and cook till done. You can even place these on your grill or barbeque them,  make sure they don't dry out and go tough,20- 30 minutes is enough. Remove and set aside.

3. Place a large pan of water to boil, and season generously with salt. Once it starts to boil add your spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.

4. While your pasta is cooking prepare the sauce, heat a large deep frying pan. Add butter and a drizzle of oil, I used corn oil as I didn't think olive oil and curry go well.  Once the butter melts, add onion and fry till soft. Stir in garlic and ginger, and the spices and fry to release their flavour.

5. Stir in passata and water bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in cream and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the chicken pieces and mix well.  The sauce should be slightly thick but not too thick, taste and season with salt.

6. Toss the drained pasta into the sauce and add a little of the cooking water to loosen the sauce if it looks too dried up. Mix in parmesan and chopped coriander and serve.

Enjoy and have a nice weekend. My internet is very slow these days so haven't been able to visit my blogger friends, will be stopping by soon :)!

Comments

  1. Nammi, the pasta looks so flavourful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a droolworthy pasta, cant ask more..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pasta looks fantastic! I am always looking for new chicken recipes for me to try out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....