Chicken Meatball And Noodle Soup



Soups are one of my go to recipes whenever someone is having a cold in the house.   Thankfully the boys find it easier to eat  soups when sick than a heavy meal.  I made this one on a rainy day,  the kind of day you want to go to curl up on the sofa and do nothing but enjoy the cool air. Sadly my biggest baby, aka hubby, is not such a big fan of soup... but then he still has to eat it as I make it for him as well, when he comes down with a cold.

Recipe : Chicken Meatball and Noodle soup

15 chicken meatballs, shop-bought or home made, uncooked
1/2 carrot,  sliced
a few brocolli florets ( fresh or frozen )
1 cup of  rice or mung bean noodles  (vermicelli) , soaked in hot water and then drained and cooled in running tap water.
1 chicken stock cube ( about 6 cups water) or use fresh chicken stock
2 fresh lemon grass, white part only
2-3 kaffir lime leaves
1 red chilli, slit in two
8 black peppercorns
1 clove garlic, bashed
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1" ginger sliced
coriander leaves
a few teaspoons of soy sauce


First prepare the broth by adding water, stock cube, peppercorns, chilli, bruised-up lemongrass, torn kaffir lime, garlic , ginger and bring to a boil, then lower heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.


  Add soy sauce  and simmer, taste adjust  with  a little salt  if needed

Add the uncooked meatballs carefully into the soup, along with the carrots.  Let it simmer till cooked through. Now add the broccoli, coriander leaves and noodles. Adjust seasoning   Cook for  5 minutes and then serve warm.

Note: Add the noodles and brocolli just when you are ready to serve, otherwise the noodles will absorb the liquid and the brocolli will loose its lovely green colour.

Comments

  1. I love soups too even I don't have a cold. This must be delicious with lemon grass and lime leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks delicious! Sick or not, I would enjoy a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am gonna love this soup. am yet to try out the meatball recipe. Once I do, I am sure to make this soup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....