Chicken Meat balls



Getting a good quality mince is not easy.  Not knowing what's inside a packet that comes from abroad keeps me back from buying it. But every now and then I buy a pack, I prefer the Ayam brand which tastes the best or I mince some boneless chicken breast in the food processor.
 I make a batch, cook them and then freeze them so I have a batch to make pasta or pop into rice or even for sandwiches during the week.

Recipe : Chicken Meatballs
Makes 20- 22 meatballs

400g chicken mince (store-bought or freshly ground in a food processor using 400g boneless chicken)
1/2 cup  quick cooking oats 
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt (level tsp)
1/2 tsp ground  cumin
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley ( if available)
1 small egg, lightly beaten
Oil (2 tbsp)

Place the oats in a spice grinder and pulse a few times.

Place the chicken mince in a bowl ( always have a separate bowl for uncooked meat and fish ).  Add the spices,  parsley ( if using) garlic and ginger. If you like a bit of heat, add finely chopped green chilli into the mix.

Add the oats and the egg. 

Using your fingers mix very well and set aside covered with cling film for the flavours to develop, say about 20-30 minutes. 

Wet your figures with some water and roll the chicken mix into small balls. 

Heat a large frying pan with oil and sear the outside of the meatballs, turning every 3 minutes so the outside is evenly brown. 

Once all the meatballs are done and if you are not going to use them now, pop them into a preheated oven at about degrees for  10 minutes just to cook it through. 

( if you are going to use pasta sauce or soups, add them to the sauce or soup while it's simmering and it will cook along with the sauce, no need to cook in the oven). 

You can serve it with sauce or in pastas and soups or store it in the freezer for later use. Just thaw a few hours early before use, warm in the oven wrapped in foil or in the microwave.

Comments

  1. My husband eats minced meat very often and I bet he will love these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdulillah, it is so easy to get freshly ground meat here which is not easy back in my home town. And we never buy frozen minced meat - I don't think my folks even know they exist! :-D I don't know why I have never made these meat balls which I should be making as it is F's favourite order whenever we eat out - outside Yanbu -:-D Let me start with this simple recipe and looks like a small batch! Or are we eating more? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried making meat balls..although I remember mom making it! Does not look so difficult and can be stored too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meatballs, but it's been a long time since I've made them with chicken! These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade meatballs are the best . But i have never tried making at home . Will try it out sure 😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....