Mudi



 Ok!, today I am not posting a recipe.  Today I want to show you something. If you have already checked the photo above you are probably wondering what it is right? This is called a Mudi locally. It is the solidified fat that forms inside the coconut as it ages.  
When growing up we used to have three huge coconut palm trees in our house.  To prevent the coconuts from falling on people's heads my father would get someone to pick the coconuts.


Some will be young while others will be slightly older ones.  The young coconuts will be sent to friends and family and we will drink for our heart's content. While the older coconuts with more meatier flesh will be left to use for making various dishes.

Now usually there will be quite a huge pile of coconut, while my mum has some of them husked and cleaned the others are left with the husk. Now as the coconut starts to grow root and when you open this to find a mass of spongy ball which i have been told is the embryo of the coconut.  Now comes the exciting part,  my mum might need to get more coconuts and so gets these coconuts husked and we will find this spongy ball of mass inside, with a rough light yellow or rather cream skin.

that spongy ball is known as Mudi 

 Even though there is flesh inside that can still be used, its this ball of mass we always look forward to. Its got a sweet taste with a spongy texture although the smaller it is the less spongy it is and is quite a little treat for us. Usually, it gets bigger as the coconut ages. Nowadays I have seen these kinds of coconuts with the root growing on them being sold as Mudilee kaashi  in the local market here in Male' City.

The Mudi is just eaten as it is. It is more like a little treat hidden inside the coconut  :)


Comments

  1. wow...that's awesome! I have never seen the spongy ball inside a coconut...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to reveal the insidious mystery of a coconut

    great pics and sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that or knew about it! Nice to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally new to me..nice to know the new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call it ponge ,and find it rarely . Something we relish to the core

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting and i love watch the skill of folks climbing to collect coconuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nammi, That's interesting! I didn't know that there is some hidden treasure inside some coconuts!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Nammi! I have forgotten about this! We called it tombong kelapa. When I was young, sometimes when my mom opened the coconut, there will be this round little white ball inside. And I would share it with my sisters! It is indeed spongy in texture! I have not seen this in decades! It sure brings back memories of my younger days enjoying this tombong kelapa, and juices from the coconut, with my sisters! I would love to have one of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so interesting...I have never heard of it...thanks for sharing it.
    Hope you are having a great week Nammi :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG,.,!!!

    this is my fav!! yummyY!!

    Julia, Malaysia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....