Goraka


I have heard of Goraka or Abihi in our local language,a sour dried-up fruit which is used as a souring agent in Asian cuisine, but I have never seen or cooked with it. I knew it was used in Sri Lankan cooking but during the last Ramadan month, I learnt it was also used in our local cooking as well.

It has a rather strong sour taste a bit different from tamarind. It is usually added straight away into a curry or soaked in hot water to soften and then pounded to a paste and used to make a marinade or curry paste.

  I bought a small packet of Goraka to try this curry recipe I saw on one of the local channels. I had to buy it from a local medicine shop, something like a  local medicine man shop as its not usually sold in regular shops. I think you can try a shop that specializes in  Asian foods.

For more information click here. Will post the recipe soon :). Have a nice weekend!!

Comments

  1. Don't know about Goraka...but it sounds quite appetizing. Look forward to reading your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....