TDM CCN Header

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Aunty Naila's Fish curry

 I almost thought of shutting down the blog, got so mad about my email getting hacked !!! So please dont take any notice of any peanutts any more or someone using my real name which was used in the mail!!! Hopefully my blog will stay safe, does anyone know how to get it copyrighted or something ?

So  here is the first recipe by Nammi,  :)  Enjoy !!

 No she is not my aunt , nor am I related to her, but she is someone I know ,  a larger than life character, a great teacher, social worker and a  great cook , well known for her cook books  , locally :). I  had the pleasure of knowing her personally and one of my memories is that she would come to visit my mum armed with her handbag, plops her self on the joli  , a garden chair ( sort of) made of rope , hands us  a handful of sweets and shoos us off saying she wants to chat with my mum :).  I found this recipe in  an old cook book of hers and decided to try her fish curry. Its tasty and delicious, so I knew I had to post this recipe.

Adapted recipe  from Zeenaru( a Maldivian cook book , sorry its a local bk not in english)

250g -300g fresh tuna fillet or other firm fish,  ( cut into small cubes)
1 medium onion , finely sliced
3 cloves garlic
1/2 " piece ginger
6 curry leaves
1 pandan leaf, cut into large pieces
1 level tsp pureed tamarind or a small knob of tamarind
2tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 scotch bonnet or 2 green chillies cut in half lenght wise ( optional)
1/3cup packed coconut milk
about 400 ml water
oil


1. Heat a dry frying pan over a low heat and once its hot add your coriander seeds and cumin seeds , toast for about 1-2 minutes , dont let the cumin seeds burn!!!.  Pour into a motor and pestle.

2. In to the motor and pestle add the garlic, ginger , chilli powder, tumeric along with the roasted spices and pound to a smooth paste using 1-2 tbsps water. you can use an electric grinder for this .

3. In a pot , heat some oil about 2-3  tbsp, add the onions and saute' till translucent . Stir in curry leaves and pandan leaf.

4. Add the spice paste and stir fry in the onion mixture for about 1-2 minutes to release the flavours.  Add a little water to prevent it from burning.

5. Carefully add the tuna cubes  along with the chillies if using.  Pour the required amount of water( you and the tamarind.  Bring to a boil then simmer, covered  for about 8-10 minutes till the fish is cooked through.

6.Stir in coconut milk , cook 1 minute , taste , add salt  for requirement and switch off heat. If you find it too spicy add a little sugar.

Serve with roshi or chappati or any other flat bread  or plain cooked rice with a nice salad on the side.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails