TDM CCN Header

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Tropical Pavlova ( with slightly disastrous meringue)




I love pavlovas, my sister, who studied in New Zealand , introduced it to us . It took many frustrating tries and I finally got the hang of it and made a decent pavlova.  Since then I have introduced it to my sister  in law and my brother in law insists its the best desert dish, that was then, now  his wife probably makes better tasting deserts than the pavlova. My hubby once took one to work and  the nurses requested he brings one the following year for their Pre Ramadhan feast, known as Maahefun.


Anyway, I decided to make this tropical pavlova by Curtis Stone I saw on Racheal Ray show . It used seasonal fruits that are grown locally here in Maldives, passion fruit and mango. As luck would have it, a  distant cousin of mine who came to visit from Kulhudhufushi brought some honey mangoes grown on the island. Unlike the local mangoes , these were more rounder and bigger and had a sweet more orangey flesh.

But  things  didn't go as planned, my oven has been troubling me for sometime, the temperature soared and my meringue ended up cooking way too quickly  from the outside   and   so I had to remove it just to save it , so went a little flat , and had to be pried off as it was a bit stuck to the pan. I didn't have baking paper so used a very lightly oiled piece of foil, probably not a good idea I think.

But after covering with the cream and the yummy passion fruit curd that went with it and the mangoes , it turned out ok.. The passion fruit curd was yumm, even though I used half of  the recipe for the pavlova I made same amount of curd so I will have left overs to use for a tart  or just eat from the jar or  maybe on toast,

Recipe : Tropical Pavlova, adapted from Curtis Stone's Tropical Pavlova recipe.

Meringue :
3 egg whites
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 tsp corn flour, sifted

Passion fruit curd :
2/3 cups passionfruit pulp ( choose wrinkly ones)
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
4 oz cold butter cut into cubes

250 ml whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar ( sifted
2 local mangoes or a large one

First make the meringue: preheat oven to  150 , prepare a baking sheet , line with baking paper.

Clean a bowl preferably a glass or metal bowl or melamine but never plastic, with a cut side of a lime and wipe with a clean towel or tissue.  Add the egg whites, making sure there are no yolks.  Using an electric whisk ( you can use a manual whisk but its more time consuming but if you have some extra sets of hands  can still  make manually), whisk  the whites till  stiff, then start adding sugar a tablespoon  at  a time , till sugar is mixed in and the mixture very stiff that it holds it shape when you lift  the whisk out.  Fold  in corn flour and  vanilla essence and then pile the mixture onto the prepared tray . Make a circular round .

 Pop in oven and let it  bake ( don't open the oven ) for 45 minutes.  Once time is up, switch off oven and keep the oven door half open for 30 minutes . Take the meringue out after 30 minutes and  cool completely. Remove carefully onto a serving platter.

Disaster in mine due to high heat in the oven so because I took it out too quickly it sank and the outside was slightly too coloured than I would like. It should me more paler and less brown.
it should be paler than this due to high heat it cooked too quickly on the outside

While  the meringue is baking prepare the curd ( you can also make this a day ahead even and store in a bottle till needed). Bring a small sauce pan filled with 1 inch water to a boil then let it simmer over  medium heat. Break 2 eggs and 2 yolks into a heatproof bowl, add sugar, passionfruit pulp and place whisk well. Place this bowl on the saucepan and stir occasionally till thick. about 10 minutes.  Remove, cover the top of the curd with cling film and let it cool.

Whip the cream till soft peaks not stiff, and fold in icing sugar, peel and slice the mangoes.

Once the meringue is cool spread the whipped cream on top, then passion fruit curd ( you probably need just half of it), then top with mango slices.  Serve. I like to chill it for an hour as I found  the flavours develop more. But its best served as soon as possible because the meringue soaks up the cream and  can be  a bit soft, but still tastes delicious.

Linking this over to IHCC's theme for this week,Local And Seasonal !









10 comments:

  1. Hi Nammi, sorry about your meringue...but at the end it turned out just fine...I love the idea of topping it with tropical fruits...
    Hope you are having a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pavlova is one of my favorite desserts to make, and mango the top of the top. That's what I was going to make this weekend as our tree has a bumper crop. Unfortunately sometimes our best is not enough if the equipment, i.e. oven, fails. But looks as though you pulled it through satisfactorily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen stunning pictures of Pavlova and read about its history too. Have been wanting to try this so badly but fear of flopping it makes me stay away. InshaAllah.. should do some day..It is a very interesting dessert even on the fact how it got its name..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never eaten Pavlova. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sweet mango topping and your meringue looks fine, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dessert with all of that gorgeous fruit! I love curd on my morning toast but straight from the jar is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have challenges with meringue sometimes due to the humidity here but it looks like your dessert turned out just fine--it looks so pretty with the mangoes and passion fruit curd. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I don't dare to deal with meringue. Kudos to your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the challenging oven, your dessert turn out great! I like pavlova and have not made any in ages! The honey mangoes sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite all the obstacles, you've produced a lovely lovely pavlova. I have a lot of egg whites in the fridge. Just the right idea I need to make meringue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....