TDM CCN Header

Monday, July 11, 2011

Steak and potatoes dinner


YES!! I finally did it!!! I made a fairly decent steak for my hubby and me . My steaks always end up in disasters as I always cook they for too long, for the fear of under cooking it and getting sick ( thanks for reading the book Toxin by Robin Cook !).  But recently have been drooling over the many  steak recipes posted on various blogs and on tv shows so was craving a nice piece of juicy steak.


I happened to  come across this beautiful piece of Australian beef  , which was cut perfectly ( a blessing in disguise as there are no butchers in this area so you have to  try and figure out what kind of cut it is and all. But having seen something similar to this , on an Australian women's weekly , I decided to  buy it. I think it was either a fillet eye or fillet steak piece  and was not so thick but about 1/2 inch thick.

Got back home, left it in the fridge section instead of meat section , so it didnt get cold, then made a marinade with what I thought would go well with meat.

 Meat marinade : for 2 small steaks

1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
pinch thyme
juice if 1/2 a lemon, and a little zest
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp light soy sauce
a little olive oil

I added  soy sauce because I have read you shouldnt  put salt into the marinade as it draws out the moisture. So I left  the steaks to marinade in the fridge for about 2-3 hours, and then took it out about 10- 15 minutes before cooking. Heated a grill pan till smoking hot, and preheat your oven to about 160 degrees celsius. (make sure you have good ventilation and open any near by doors and windows as its going to get really smoking!!) Remove any excess marinade and bits of it from the steak , season with salt . Placed the steaks  in and then had the hard part of staying still and not poking it around , I gave it about 5-7 minutes on each side , then placed it in the  oven for about 8 - 10 minutes  cos I like my steaks well down.  Once its finished cooking I covered it with foil and left it to rest for another 10 minutes.

Made gravy using :
1 onions, sliced
2 tsp flour
any left over marinade and pan juices
1/2 cup stock or water or maybe a little bit more if it gets too thick.
Salt

I  sauteed the  onions in a frying pan with alittle butter,( the grill pan  wasnt  very good pan to make the gravy) till soft and starting to colour
Stired in flour and  stired it till it was nicely mixed in, added any left over pan juices and marinade, and water or stock. Cook , stirring occasionally till nice and thick , taste add salt and pepper.

Serve steaks drizzled with the onion gravy with a side of potatoes and beans or peas.

To those who have been having the same fear of burning up your steaks , check out the following sites,
How to cook the perfect steak and also  a few more tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....