Smores Tart




Smores is something I always read about in kids' stories, it was until my little guy had this science project in grade 2,( I think it was in 2013) ,where he had to make something that was about alternate energy that I actually got to taste a S'more.
I know what you are thinking whats a smore got to do with a science project? You see he made a  pizza box solar oven, he was teamed up with a cousin of ours. For the we used cream crackers instead of graham crackers, topped with chocolate and marshmallow, put it in the sun and within 10 minutes, chocolate and marshmallow had melted. The boys enjoyed the Smores and went on to win at the science fair held that year along with another bunch of 2nd graders at the Interschool Science Fair.

Anyway, the taste of the S'more had me wondering if there was any way I could do it in a more pie or tart-like way, after much searching, yup you guessed it, via Pinterest,  I found a lot of recipes for S'mores tarts and pies. But I wanted to make it my way so I used cream crackers for a base, A chocolate ganache, found a ganache recipe, and topped with marshmallows. I didn't have a blow torch so I placed it near to the broiler of the oven and let it colour the marshmallows. Have to keep an eye on it though. Ended up burning half of the marshmallows the first time I made this.

Recipe : S'mores Tart

Base : 175g cream crackers
          90g butter ( melted , place butter in a saucepan and place over gentle heat to melt)

Ganache(recipe from here) 200g dark chocolate ( I used Lindt)
                1-2  tbsp sugar ( if you like it sweet)
               1 1/4 cup cream
                50g butter

topping : 150g pkt Marshmallows

First, if you have a food processor, whizz your crackers in it into crumbs, if not place in a plastic bag and bash it up. Mix in the melted butter till well coated. Press the mixture on to a 9-inch pie plate or tart tray. Pop in the fridge to chill

For the ganache, add sugar ( if using ) into a saucepan,  place it over low heat and let it come to a simmer, stir to dissolve the sugar.  Break the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl .


 Once the cream starts to form little bubbles around the edge, remove and pour half into the bowl of chocolate and whisk gently to melt the chocolate. Add the rest of the cream and the butter, the mixture should be glossy.  Cool slightly.  Pour into the prepared tart tray and place the tray back into the fridge for 2-3 hours to set.

The ganache should be set, now 1 hour before serving, preheat the broiler or grill or the top half of the oven.
I had huge marshmallows so, I cut them in half and placed them over the chocolate.


Place it inside the oven,  close to the broiler/grill, keep an eye on it .  Take it out once the marshmallows start to turn dark brown. Remove and cool and place in the fridge for 30 minutes for the ganache to set a bit as the heat from the oven might make it melt a bit.

To Serve, Its easier to slice if you warm your knife in a hot water jug before you slice the tart, that way you get clean slices, if you know what I mean.

This is my last Post for this year,  taking a break for the holidays. See you all next year. Wishing all Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! See you all Sooon!




Comments

  1. Have never had smores...bet it's very sweet and addictive with all the marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want to try it,but i dont like marshmallows so afraid!How is the taste?That looks gr8😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Looks delicious Nammi, I love smores!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute science story. Smores are very popular in the USA. I am glad you finally got to try them. This tart looks delicious. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S'mores seems like a campfire favorite in the states... love your boys idea of making the pie in the hot sun... hehe... I guess the girls would love this, they keep asking me to buy marshmallows but I always turn a blind eye towards it... Will miss you in December, enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so good, your a wonderful Mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great for your son to win with such a good idea! I have never had smores, but the pie definitely looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....