Vegetable Pilaf




Eid at my home is usually breakfast downstairs with my parents, and sisters and their families, my mum would task each of us with a dish and she would sit and relax and call friends and families to wish them. Kids get presents and usually play outside in the garden, while we cook. I usually finish early, and instead of having lunch at my parents I head to my mum-in-law's for lunch with hubby and the boys along with the rest of his siblings.

Dinner is usually at my parents.  Eid is always a joyous day, everyone is in a good mood, the smell of cooking when you walk on the street. There is always some activity on the street during the late afternoon, such as boduberu , bodumas  and even maali parading on the streets. I am not a fan of people throwing water bombs on the street, it was never a custom when we were growing up.

Anyway, to eat with   my mussama roast chicken  I prepared a simple vegetable pilaf.  It is pretty easy to make. You can even use frozen vegetables or even those canned ones.  

Recipe : Vegetable Pilaf

Serves 3-4

1 1/4 cup basmathi rice
1 cup mixed vegetables ( I used a mix of  chopped carrots, peas  and sweetcorn kernels)
500 ml water, (warm)
1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp tomato paste
1/4- 1/2  tsp turmeric
salt
2-3 tbsp oil

Wash and drain the rice.

Heat oil and fry the onions till softened and translucent. Add the turmeric, curry leaves and mix well.

Add the rice, and vegetables and stir to coat, add about half a teaspoon salt

Mix the stock cube, and tomato paste into the water in a heat-proof measuring jug and add into the rice mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium heat till the rice absorbs all the liquid on the top. , taste add a little salt if needed, stir it in.

Reduce heat and then cover and cook 3-5 minutes and then switch off the heat. Leave covered for 5- 10 minutes, then fluff up the rice. Serve with any form of curry or with my mussama roast chicken

Comments

  1. I miss my parents really this time... even my aunt is not there, so it's just cousins... sometimes you want somebody from the elder generation to be around... Lovely traditions and this veg pilaf goes well with any good non-veg side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about lunch time here and I am getting hungry :-)) This is a simple yet great lunch idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never add turmeric to pilaf. I should try it next time. Pilaf is always a nice way to have vegetables in a disguised form:) I usually add all leftover vegetables I have:) and it makes an amazing lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....