Egg filled Buns



I once saw this on Pinterest when I was searching for ideas to make my little guy eat eggs with a bit more enthusiasm or at least with minimum gagging. I loved the idea of these cute portable vessels where all good things are packed in one, eggs, veg and of course inside the bun.  I used burger buns, they did end up getting a bit soggy at the bottom but not so much, so I lined the tray with some baking paper.
  I used turkey strips, something the boys love,  but if you can't get hold of them (use any form of deli meat you like, or even some thin slices of luncheon meat, ( brown them a bit in a frying pan before using).

Since some of the bread is removed to create the hole to hold the egg, don't throw it away, place in a plastic bag and pop in the freezer to use to make fresh breadcrumbs.
This is something the boys enjoy, even my little guy who eats it without much of a fuss.  Yes!!!

Recipe : Egg Filled Buns ... recipe inspired by various egg filled bread recipes on Pinterest

4 Burger Buns
100g turkey strips ( or use chicken and parsley Roberts luncheon meat rounds, about 8 would do, two  thin slices for each bun)
Handful   of baby spinach
Handful of freshly grated  cheddar cheese
4 eggs
salt and pepper
a little olive oil ( optional)

First, preheat the oven  180 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper, if you don't have baking paper rub a little butter or oil

Using a sharp knife, cut the top of the buns and hollow out the bottom half,  You can save the hollowed-out bits of bread for another day in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer. ( I like to use the lid when serving, The boys eats these up like burger buns after placing the top half of the bun back on. )


Anyway, arrange the turkey strips inside the buns like this, that's about 3-4 strips per bun.


Then a few spinach leaves,  and finally crack the egg over the spinach.  Season with salt and pepper and top with cheese.  For my little guy I whisked my egg first before adding it in.


Pop them onto the prepared tray and bake for about  10- 15 minutes, till the egg is cooked through but still has a bit of wobble in the yolk.

Enjoy these warm !


Comments

  1. They are so delicious and make a fantastic breakfast, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just an amazing idea... and did the little guy eat his eggs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so interesting not just for kids! I would love to have this way too. :-) We have to ensure to get uncut burger buns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I haven't tried this and you've just tempted me to do so. happy weekend dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a good one for kids. This can be done with a number of modification to suit the taste buds:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like something my kids would eat without complaining too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priya @asmallbite
    Too tempting,fantastic share...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely will try this Nammi...looks delicious and perfect for a weekend brunch.
    I hope you are having a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks so so good.
    Have a great day.

    Olga.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....