TDM CCN Header

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Eggplant Rice Pilaf


Eggplants, Aubergine , Brinjals , whatever you may call them, I love  them.  I love their slightly meaty taste. I saw this eggplant pilaf once but I adapted it a bit so I can use  easily available ingredients.

I added a can of tuna just so there was some protein , you  can leave it out if you want to make this  vegetarian or serve it along with some griled fish , chicken or meat dish.
 I served this up with some raita .

Recipe : Eggplant Rice Pilaf recipe adapted from the recipe Greek eggplant and rice pilaf.

175g eggplant, cut into bite size cubes
1/2 a red bell pepper, cored,  and cut into bite sizes
2 tomaotes, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic,  finely chopped
8-10 curry leaves
1-2 chillies, slit into two  lenght wise
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground chilli powder
1 heaped tsp tomato paste
1 /2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 cups basmathi rice
2 1/2 cups  water
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube * use fresh or packed liquid stock inplace  of the water and stock cube if available
1 can  tuna, drained.
3-4 tbsp olive oil
Small bunch Coriander leaves , finely chopped ( if available)

Season the eggplants with a pinch of salt. Heat a large deep frying pan with  olive oil and fry the egg plant pieces till they start to go golden . Remove to a plate.

Add onion, garlic and curry leaves and cook for a few minutes to soften and the onions go  translucent.

Add the spices, a little water ( to stop the spices from catching at the bottom ) and  tomato paste and about 1/2 tsp of salt . Add  the rice, which has been washed  and drained).  Stir the rice in so it gets coated with the spice mix.

Return the egg plants, the can of tuna. Mix the stock cube into the water ( use warm or hot water to make it easier to mix) and stir it in, bring to a boil and then lower heat and let it simmer over a medium heat till the rice  absorbs all the liquid,  then lower the heat , cover and cook 3-5 minutes, then sprinkle the    chopped coriander  leaves on top  and switch  off and leave it covered for 5- 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff the rice up. Serve.


4 comments:

  1. I do love the add of tuna for the extra flavour and protein! The pilaf looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nammi, I have never had eggplant in rice...looks delicious...I love eggplants and rice dishes...therefore I am loving it!
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything made with aubergines and I love to combine them with rice. Delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails