TDM CCN Header

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken ( a Donna Hay Recipe)




Well technically I would say mine is Lime and Garlic roast chicken as I used limes instead of lemons. I could have used Lemons but its not available every where in Maldives and since its Ramadhan ( the Muslim fasting month) , when everyone is eager to try something new to eat, I decided to use limes instead. Its such an easy recipe.  I roasted two as both boys want the drumstick and one is never enough so I made two, which also mean some leftover meat for later use, yey!!.


Recipe : Lime and garlic roast chicken, recipe adapted from Donna Hay recipe Lemon Garlic Roast chicken

2 (1200g) chicken, , skin on, fat trimmed, washed cleaned and dried with kitchen towel.
1 whole head of garlic, left whole with the skin
1 lime cut into wedges
1 tsp red chilli flakes ( I need some chilli here)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp tried thyme
salt
Olive oil

Preheat oven to about 220 degree celcius .

Season the  chicken's  inside with a pinch of salt. Drizzle olive oil m just  a little olive oil say one or two teaspoon ? on each chicken.

Mix another large pinch of salt , chilli flakes, thyme and pepper and rub this all over the chicken ( yes its slightly different from the original recipe.

Stuff the cavity of each chicken with 2 wedges of lime, 3 garlic cloves , the remaining limes and garlic is added to the roasting pan.

Donna Hay uses kitchen twine to tie the legs ,I used a few toothpicks to secure the cavity so the limes and garlic cook and flavour the  chicken from the inside.


Place these in a large roasting pan  along with remaining lime wedges and garlic cloves. Pop in oven and roast for 45 minutes.  You can brush  the skin with the oil that gets released from the chicken  and gets collected at the bottom of the pan , now and then.

Once cooked and the juices run clear when you cut near the thigh and drumstick, then you can take it out. Remove from pan and let the chicken rest on the chopping block  or plate   covered with a piece of aluminium foil. Rest for at least 10 minutes, covered loosely  with some foil. Then serve. I love roasted garlic don't you?, the ones inside the cavity  were extra yumm.

Note to freeze excess chicken meat, just shred the meat off the bones  , place in zip lock bag and place in freezer. Can even store in refrigerator for a week .
shredded chicken ready to be stored for later use.

Linkin this over to this week's  theme at  IHCC  cook any recipe by their featured chef, Donna Hay. I love her recipes, they are so simple and easy to make.


15 comments:

  1. I have been craving roasted chicken today and will try your recipe soon in shaa ALLAH with the lemons/limes and chili as it looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautifully roasted bird. I love garlic and lemon flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used garlic, onions and lemons before to roast chicken. It gives a great flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roasted chicken looks delicious Nammi...I barely roast whole chicken...seeing your post made me want to try again...
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so flavorful! Here the men fight for the drumstick than the kids... hehe... I like the idea of using toothpicks to hold them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how good this must smell. Feeling hungry already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whole roasted bird with lime and garlic! Yum! I just need this and some toum for a double garlicy flavour! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a lovely and yummy flavored roasted chicken

    ReplyDelete
  9. My children love chicken and they love making roast chicken with me, it is always such a big thing when we make this together. Your version sounds delicious, it might just become our next roast chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely roast chicken! Smart of your to roast two! Tons of delicious recipes you could use for with the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Limes and chilli flakes sound like delicious changes to this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Toothpicks to secure the cavity of the bird. What a smart idea?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect recipe that is tasty every single time! I love roasting a chicken and using the leftovers throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Few things smell better than a chicken roasting away. I like that you switched it up with limes and chilli flakes too--I bet you will find plenty to do with those leftovers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to try your toothpick idea, way less trouble. Sounds like a deliciously cooked chicken(s). Did you like it better with the lime?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....