Ice Lime Tea


I love iced lemon tea, but lemons are a bit pricey over here so I used limes. There is something very refreshing about a tall glass of cold ice tea and it is a great drink to serve for Iftar ( breaking fast) or to cool off on a hot day.  I love the iced tea or Teh Ice Limau they serve in the Mamak stalls in Malaysia.
There they use these tiny little limes called  Calamansi limes with loads of ice. I have tried to make iced tea various times but usually end up with too much lime or too much tea.
I finally made it using slightly thin-skinned limes,  if I used the darker green ones. the tea ended up a bit bitter. I like my iced tea sweet, the best way would be to adjust to your liking or serve the sugar syrup separately so everyone can adjust the sweetness to how much they like it.

Recipe : Ice Lime Tea.
serves 4 -5

8 thin slices Lime ( about lime, choose slightly yellow ones)
1 teabag ( I use Lipton Yellow Label)
2 cups boiling hot water
1/2 cup sugar syrup ( or to taste) * see note below on how to make sugar syrup
3 cups ice cubes

Place tea bags in hot water and let it sit for a few minutes about 10 minutes, If you want a nice dark amber colour, let it cool.

Take a large jug or juice container with a wide lid,  place the limes, and ice cubes and fill it up with the prepared tea. Add sugar syrup, the amount I mentioned above gives a nice sweet tea, add more or less to your liking. Put the lid on and give it a good shake. Let it chill in the fridge till needed till needed.  If using a jug, I would say use a large spoon to mix, and press a little on the lime slices to get the flavour out but don't squash them too much. Taste. adjust the tastes to your liking.

Enjoy!

Note : To make Sugar syrup, mix equal parts sugar and water, say 1 cup each, in a saucepan, bring to a  boil and simmer till reduced a little. Cool and pour into a clean bottle and use when needed.

Comments

  1. Yes, this is the perfect way to keep you cool...
    Hope you are having a great week Nammi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love iced tea and always order for Peach iced tea! Back in India, it is never fresh peach, they just add the essence and I still love it. I too tried a iced tea couple of days ago.. fasting during summer or winter, I need my cold fix! :-) Lemons seem to be in abundance here unlike lime that are sold in small bundles and priced same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody in the house like iced tea, and I seem to be the only one... hehe... love the simple lemon spiked tea...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....