TDM CCN Header

Friday, February 5, 2016

Kohlrabi salad




Its become a habit in my family when visiting other countries especially Sri Lanka to come back home with huge boxes of produce. So as per tradition I decided to visit a local market in Wellawata before returning home this year.
It wasn't exactly enjoyable as the vendors practically harrassed me, "going madam you want this you want that," I love shopping in markets but I hate when the vendor is practically breathing down my neck. But I was determined to shop , so was able to get a nice big box of produce. One vegetable that I bought was Kohlrabi, something which is not available in Male and new to me.  It looks like a turnip, but green and tastes like brocolli. The leaves can be eaten as well ( recipe will follow in next post. )



I have become addicted to Pinterest and love checking out every now and then the various  pins . Got lots of inspiration for what to do with kohlrabi ,one was salad.

Check here on how to prepare Kohlrabi.

Recipe: Kohlrabi Salad recipe inspired by kohlrabi salad with Cilantro lime recipe

1 kohlrabi , peeled, cut into mini cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red chilli chopped
juice of 1- 1 1/2 lime
a few coriander leaves, chopped , optional.
salt

Add onions into a bowl ,add a pinch salt and lime juice and mix , bruise a little to release the juices.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. taste and adjust salt and lime juice.  Enjoy as a side dish.

5 comments:

  1. thats cool that you visit markets when traveling and can you believe I have never tried this

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very fresh and crunchy salad...it's simple yet delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a cabbage to me! Thank you for introducing new stuff... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so healthy! Looks really nice ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,

    Interesting! Kohlrabi is not a common ingredient in Australia. Nevertheless, I enjoy learning new ingredients and recipes from you all the time.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails