TDM CCN Header

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Beetroot Curry


My husband had a friend who loves adding beetroot when making curries. I rarely cook beetroot or buy it mainly because I had little idea on what to do, and when I was little my mum used to have boiled beets to eat with rice and I hated it then. But after I saw a few beetroot curry recipes by Madhur Jaffery and Peter Kurvita  , I was inspired to try and make one myself . I added a bit of both  recipes to make this curry. Goes down well with plain cooked rice and a green salad.
Recipe : Beetroot curry, inspired by Madhur Jaffrey's Beetroot stew in Quick and Easy Indian Cooking and Peter Kurvita's Beetroot curry.

1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
8-10 curry leaves
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp tumeric
 1/4- 1/2 tsp ground red chilli powder
450g beet root, peeled and cut into cubes ( thats about 2 medium beetroots)
1/2  of a ( 400g) can of chopped tomatoes  or chop up a can of whole peeled tomatoes and use half of it)
1 small fillet of smoked tuna, thinly sliced ( optional)
1 green chilli, slit into two ( optional)
1 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup canned or packed coconut milk ( or make thick coconut milk using 3 tbsp coconut powder mixed with 1/4 cup water)
2-3 tbsp oil ( vegetable oil , corn oil or sunflower oil)
salt

Heat oil, add onion and cook till softened. Add garlic , curry leaves and cook a minute or two. Add the spices and stir fry till it releases the aroma.

Then add canned tomatoes, water , beetroot  and add the smoked tuna  and green chilli if using.  Let the curry simmer for a few minutes till the  beetroot is cooked through and tender. 

Taste add salt and coconut milk. Simmer  gently for 1 minute then switch off and serve. 


6 comments:

  1. Beetroot in curry...that's new to me, but it surely looks very delicious, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna and coconutmilk with beetroot sounds interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuna and coconutmilk with beetroot sounds interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you made a little non-veg with that tuna... lovely curry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. Love the addition of tuna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wondering what to make with the one beetroot I have.... 😊 love the coconut milk idea...😋 Minus the tuna...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....