TDM CCN Header

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tortillatas With Shrimp


I havent posted a recipe for IHCC for  a while,  been too busy to look for Ellie Krieger recipes:). This recipe is by Mark Bittman, and  he is this month's Featured Chef, although I think he is more of a food critic than chef.  I saw this recipe on   the New York Times website, while googling for a recipe of his   and luckily I had  all the ingredients including the prawns.
 I gave the batter a bit of a spice kick by adding a generous pinch of chilli powder , cumin powder and a finely chopped chilli and used only freshly chopped coriander as the herb of choice. I think this is supposed to be slightly more thinner and crepe like but I made mine more american pancake style.

Recipe :   Tortillatas with  Shrimp recipe slightly spiced  version of  Mark Bittman's  recipe .

1/2 cup gram flour ( chickpea flour)
1/2 cup plain flour , sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 of a medium onion , finely chopped. 
1 green or red chilli finely chopped
pinch of ground cumin
pinch of ground chilli powder
pinch of pepper
generous pinch of salt
6-8 large frozen prawns ( defrosted) or use fresh if available, chopped
Finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, ( leaves only) about a big handful
oil ( I used corn oil)
1 cup and an extra 2 tbsp of water

Place both flours, baking power , spices and salt into  a bowl.  Add water gradually , whisking with a whisk as you add water.  Add the extra two tablespoons of water and then add the onion, coriander leaves, chillies prawns  and mix gently.

Heat a small frying pan,  over a medium heat, add  about a tablespoon of oil  and swirl it around. Add a ladle of batter and spread it out . Cook for a few minutes  then flip to the other side. Make sure the prawns are cooked through. 

Remove  and serve with a salad  and chilli sauce. 

Taking this over to IHCC's theme for this week, Monthly Featured Chef : Mark Bittman , come over and check out all the delicious  recipes  for this week. 





10 comments:

  1. They are just like savoury pancakes! I like the use of chickpea flour and shrimp here, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this recipe. Like you, I have all the ingredients on hand so I imagine it will be made pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks real yummy,loved the addition of shrimps in the pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way it looks... I would replace the shrimps with chicken and make them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a winner--quick, easy and tasty like Bittman's recipes are known for. They remind me of the shrimp pancakes at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen anything like this, but I love the idea of a thin spicy little shrimp pancake. I bet these are packed with flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good description of him and these look tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nammi,

    These prawn pancakes look flavoursome! My prawn loving son will love these!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nammi,
    These savoury pancakes looks like a delicious snack to munch on! Adding the chilli and fresh herb sounds really flavourful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails