TDM CCN Header

Thursday, July 2, 2015

The "Eyeew!" Pudding aka Banana and Coffee Pudding


I can see a few raised eyebrows. You see,  this is the reaction I got from my sisters and nieces when I said that for desert is a banana pudding. And they didnt even try it!! I mean if the eyew!! part had come after eating then I would understand but without even trying?!?!   Hence  I got a bit  annoyed and decided to rename this the Eyew Pudding, I have changed the name to Eyew! Pudding, yes I know it looks a little unappetizing but sometimes what looks horrible can surprisingly taste delicious. ( So dont go pulling faces and saying yuck at food without even tasting it)


Anyway,  I saw this recipe in this really lovely magazine called Beram & Tagine  which I viewed online. They had a delicious looking banana and dulce de leche cups  recipe. Since most of the ingredients were easily available I  decided to give it a try.  They didn't moisten the cake  with any liquid so I wondered how the taste would be if I added a bit of coffee and nuts for texture.  I kinda enjoyed it, if you like coffee and enjoy  deserts like tiramisu , you will like this one. Don't use too over ripe bananas as they will be too mushy.  Make the dulce de leche a day ahead and always make an extra can, so you always have some on hand whenever you need it.

Recipe : The " Eyew" Pudding recipe adapted from Banana and dulce de leche recipe on Beram and Tajine special eid issue.

1 can of dulce deleche ( you can either prepare it yourself or buy it if available)
5 regular size bananas ( if you have those huge ones ,3 would do)
1 can Nestle cream or 250ml whipping cream
3/4 cup coffee ( made by dissolving 1 tsp of Nestle' coffee powder in 1/2 cup water)
200g butter cake ( shop bought) or sponge cake
handful kanamadhu or almonds, finely sliced
1 tsp vanilla essence

Cut the cake into cubes. arrange in  the bottom of a bowl. I would recommend one with a flat bottom so all the cake can be arranged neatly in one layer.  Drizzle with coffee on top.  You might not need all the coffee.

Spread half of the dulce deleche on top  the cake.  Slice the bananas and arrange on top of the dulce deleche.

In a bowl whip the Nestle' cream ( if using whipping cream instead of nestle whip till soft peaks) till thick add vanilla and the remaining half of the dulce de leche. ( when adding this to whipping cream fold gently)  Note : the ones in italics is for those using whipping cream instead of the canned Nestle cream).  

Pile the cream on top, making sure the whole top is covered.  Sprinkle with sliced nuts, and chill for at least 2 hours.

To make it more prettier if serving for a special dinner  you can make individual serving portions in little glasses.




1 comment:

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....