The Ulhaali Ladies In Hinnavaru


 During our visit to Lh. Naifaru, we took a half-day trip to the nearby island of  Hinnavaru. While strolling around the island, we decided to take a much-needed break to cool off and get some rest, under the shade of some trees.

While sitting there, I noticed some ladies sitting nearby, chatting away while busy making something with their hands.
Now, I am not the kind of person who rushes over to talk to people, in fact, I am quite the opposite, but curiosity got the better of me and I summoned up some courage and went over to take a closer look.

After greeting them with the usual " Asalaam Alaikum" ( peace be to you), I asked them if I can watch them work. Discovered they were making Ulhaali. I have never seen one being made, but I love this local snack which has both sweet and savoury versions of it. Today these ladies were making the sweet version, where the dough is made of rice flour, plain flour, sugar, eggs and coconut milk.  

While one lady rolled the dough thinly and cut it into strips, another rolled the strips so it elongated and became thinner and more cylindrical.


 Another two ladies twirls the long strips into a circular design and its neatly laid on oiled  Dhigaa  leaves.( nothing special about the leaves, according to them its easily available as there are several Dhigaa trees around the island.

Ulhaali being made, a work of art , where the dough is twirled around in a certain pattern

Finished ulhaali ,ready to be fried

Once all the ulhaali are done they are fried till a lovely golden colour and sold or distributed to friends and neighbours and enjoyed as a snack.

Comments

  1. the pattern looks so pretty... new to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.
    I am celebrating my First Blog Anniversary-http://herbsspicesandtradition.blogspot.ca/2015/05/my-first-blog-anniversary-event.html
    There is a event and a give away. Please join, it is open for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this...so interesting and pretty...thanks for the post Nammi!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so beautiful! Wish I could taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MashaAllah interesting blog you got here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also want know ulhaali recipe. Dhiyaa hakuru ga hadhaa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....