TDM CCN Header

Friday, March 6, 2015

Devilled Tuna



One of my favorite cook book these days Peter Kurvita's Serendip. A beautiful cook book on Sri Lankan cuisine, recipes he grew up  on, even though he is  now an Australian. You can see how much love and devotion he has given to this book ,  with lots of gorgeous pictures
and I love the way he , very lovingly,  tells stories of his childhood. The TV series of the book showed him visiting various areas of Sri Lanka and this delicious deviled fish recipe was shown on the TV series ( recipe was not found on the cookbook).
          Its my dream to create such a cookbook,  based on local recipes , have got  recipes from my mum , aunts and from old local cookbooks, so far have got more than 75 recipes, written and tested but have no idea how to publish.( Plus my self confidence level is most zero ) I dont want to create just a simple recipe book black and white with no pictures, I mean who wants to look at those.  So any ideas, I keep thinking of asking someone for advice because I want to be completely in control of making it, but not enough money to make a lot of copies if going towards the self publishing sector. So anyone want to give me some advice? I am more like should I shouldnt I stage...  I can start posting on blog but I want to make some money while  blogging  and staying at home.. Its not the fame I want  .... more like do something that one day my kids will be proud of their mom for doing it.

So while you think about it let me get on with the recipe . This devilled tuna is slightly different from the usual local devilled tuna version.

Recipe : Devilled Tuna, recipe slightly tweaked  based on Peter Kurvita's Devilled Tuna as shown on the show My Sri Lanka.

300g tuna, cut into bite size cubes
1/2  red chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
pinch tumeric
salt
8-10 curry leaves
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, peeled and cut into  thin wedges
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 leek, sliced thickly
1 carrot, sliced
2 capsicums, de-seeded and sliced thickly
2 green chillies, slit into two lengthwise
Oil for deep frying
For the Sauce
3-4 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup water

Season fish with salt, and a pinch tumeric. Heat oil for deep frying and fry the fish, till golden outside, remove onto kitchen paper, transfer to a bowl, add curry leaves, chilli powder, pepper and lime juice and mix well, set side for 10 minutes.


Heat a wok or frying pan with oil, add all the vegetables, with the garlic  and chillies and stir fry on high heat for 1-2 minutes.

Add the tuna cubes and stir fry another 1 minute, the aroma of the curry leaves will have you salivating, especially if you are using  very fresh leaves.

Finally,in a bowl mix the sauce ingredients , and pour this mixture into the wok and stir well. The sauce will start to bubble and thicken. Taste add salt if necessary.  Switch off.

Serve with plain rice.

10 comments:

  1. This is something new to me. I like tuna and veggies..this fits the bill perfectly, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy dear Nammi, i will try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new dish to me. Love your combination of veggies!! Looks so good..

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice combination... sounds so yum...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,

    I like Peter Kurvita. This tuna dish sounds very fragrant to me with all these spices.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks yummy, how many people does this amount serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this would serve about 3-4 people

      Delete
  7. Nammi, this is such a nice tuna dish...like the idea of all the vegetables in it...
    Thanks for sharing the recipe...hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nammi,
    Your dish looks very delicious!
    I once saw this book at our local bookstore's website. Went there to get it a few weeks later, there are none left! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looks delicious! I will give it a try cause my husband is in the mood of hot spiced dishes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails