TDM CCN Header

Friday, March 13, 2015

Chicken And Pesto Lasagne



Move over Jamie Oliver, discovered a much cuter chef called Donal Skehan, ( not that I dont like Jamie).  His show Grandma's Boy on Nat Geo People is fun to watch and has some really easy Italian recipes made by  Italian Nonnas.  I saw this delicious lasagne recipe on one of the episodes where this lovely Nonna ,who  made this without chicken. But I knew to get my hubby to enjoy this I had   to add some chicken
so went  against the Italian Nonna's rules and added some left over roast chicken and chilli flakes for some  spicy kick!!

 The boys enjoyed it, hubby included.   I made home made pesto , I forgot to tell you I finally grew some Italian basil and love the fact that I can just pick some herbs from my balcony instead of buying it from the shops (and its quite expensive from the shops) . Now I have  a few  herbs growing on my tiny balcony,   a pandan leaf shrub, basil and have planted some coriander seeds hopefully they will grow as well. My sis in law recently gave me some mint  which she grew, so have got some mint growing as well.   Now my little guy wants me to grow tomatoes (LOL), so any tips on growing  tomatoes in  a pot.

Yes yes I know I am going out of topic so lets get back to the pesto Lasagne shall we...

Recipe : Pesto Lasagne recipe adapted from Donal Skehan' s Pesto Lasagne.

8 Lasagne sheets ( dried or freshly made)
3 tbsp basil  pesto ( freshly made or  bottled)
75 g potatoes ( peeled , cut into small cubes  and boiled till tender)
50g green beans ( cut into 1/2 cm pieces , and boiled till tender )
1 chicken breast ( cooked or left over roast chicken , finely chopped)
1 tsp chilli flakes, generous pinch of ground black pepper
Grated parmesan cheese

For the Bechamel sauce  3 tbsp flour ( level spoons)
                                         30g butter
                                           2 cups milk (500ml)
                                 
1. In  a small bowl mix chicken meat, beans , and potatoes . Stir in chilli flakes, pepper and 1 tbsp of pesto  and a tiny pinch of salt.  Set aside.


2. Prepare the bechamel sauce  by melting butter over a low heat. Switch off and stir in flour and mix well with a whisk  . Return to the stove, and stir over a medium heat  for 1 minute to cook the rawness of the flour. While whisking gradually stir in milk. Mix well to remove any lumps .

 3. Cook stirring continuously till the sauce thickens and coats the back of the spoon. When you run your finger through the spoon it should leave a clean line like this: If you are still not sure check this to see how to make bechamel sauce for lasagne.

4. Season with  a tiny bit salt and  let it cool. It will thicken more while cooling.   Stir in the remaining  pesto .

5. To assemble the lasagne take a  square  baking tray or oven proof dish. Lightly oil with olive oil.    Spread a ladle of the sauce  at the bottom.  Layer with  2-3 sheets of lasagne sheets.  Then sprinkle with  the chicken mixture . top with a little sauce and top with lasagne sheet , chicken , sauce, lasagne and finish off the top layer with lasagne and a layer of sauce. and a generous sprinkling of parmesan.

6.Cover with foil and place in a preheaten oven at  about 200 degree celcius , gas mark 4 and bake for 45 minutes, ( fresh pasta takes less time to cook so check after 20 minutes if using fresh pasta). Remove the foil after 30 minutes of cooking time.

7. Remove and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.   a nice tomato salad would pair nicely with this I think.

Note : If you are using dried lasagne sheets  assemble the dish one hour before baking, leave covered in tin foil for and hour , then bake covered with the foil as mentioned above.

7 comments:

  1. It surely looks very comforting and delish, Nammi. I must look for some recipes from Donal_Skehan to try too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a very comforting meal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lasagna and yours looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nammi
    Looks delicious! I have Donald Skehan's cookbook and only made one cake recipe from it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm yummy I like how non-traditional this is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails