Thursday, August 7, 2014

Accidental Trifle


During this past Ramadhan month,  my sister hosted a dinner party for her friends. My hubby and my sister studied together at medical school so they share the same set of friends.  So I chipped in to help make desert and and a pizza.  I decided to make this delicious flourless chocolate cake  by the fabulous baker brothers .


the perfectly made cake ( how my cake is supposed to look like)
I had made  this recipe a few times before and it was a really delicious cake to make. So I was pretty confident it was going to be a real crowd pleaser.  I used a regular cake pan instead of the  spring form tray which I normally use for this recipe ( bad idea for this cake) . After the cake was cooked , I took it out and decided to invert it straight away and it ended up a big pile of mess on the plate, half on the plate,  half still stuck to the baking tray!!.  My boys came running after hearing me scream (LOL).

squashed cake!!
 I ran upstairs to my sister no. 2, who is a better baker and cook , to ask for advice and she suggested I turn it into a trifle, using a fruit like pears . I rarely make trifle not my favorite desert ( too many components).. Hero ( her son) chimmed in " you just add cake , fruit , cream, cake fruit cream". It was almost 3:30 pm, ( shops close for late afternoon prayers) so I practically ran to the shops to buy a can of pears, I think canned cherries would also be nice.Thankfully I had a pkt of whipping cream . The desert  went down well, nobody knew it was squashed  cake.
So its a good thing I have sisters who  come up with lifesaving ideas or desert saving ideas :).

Recipe : Accidental Trifle  

1 chocolate cake ( I used this cake recipe for the cake ),cut into 2 inch cubes
6-8 canned pear halves, roughly chopped ( or slice )
6 tbsp pear juice from the can
250 ml whipping cream , whipped to soft peaks
1 small piece of dark chocolate ( I used a small bar of toblerone dark)


1. Take a large glass bowl, layer half the cake at the bottom. Drizzle with 3 tbsp of pear juice.


2. Add a layer of pears, then top with cream.


3. Repeat with another layer of cake, juice, , fruit and finish off with cream. Grate the dark chocolate on top, chill before serving.




8 comments:

  1. Wow..... Looks interesting and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, accidental trifle not at all, irresistible trifle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! sooo tempting.. Wish I could take it out..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to bake a chocolate to make this gorgeous trifle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,
    What a lovely idea to turn it into a trifle dessert! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trifle looks great...I love the addition of pears and whipped cream!
    Have a great week Nammi :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty damn good idea, the pear give extra crunch and refreshing taste
    i once made a dissaster cracked japanese cotton cheese cake,
    i simply turn it onto a accidentally tiramisu in a cup cake and every body adore it, lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails