TDM CCN Header

Friday, July 18, 2014

Peach Cobbler


I am depressed,  first to see the chaos and suffering in the Palestine and again another Malaysian airline being shot down (!?!?!) .  Sometimes I wonder what kind of a world I have brought my boys into. I pray that  it would turn out  better by the time they grow up.

I have always heard of different kinds of  cobblers and kept meaning to try  and make one. A few weeks a go a fellow blogger Velva from Tomatoes on the Vine  posted a delicious looking peach cobbler. What tempted me to try it was that it was a very easy recipe and it used canned peaches instead of fresh. We do get fresh peaches but they are quite expensive and I want to try budget recipes this fasting month.


We dont get buttermilk over here so I made my own by mixing milk and little white vinegar ( sometimes I use lime juice if I dont have any vinegar) and letting it sit for a few minutes to curdle a little and then using it.

I reduced the size of the cobbler enough to serve 4.  But it was delicious desert  would go well with some vanilla ice cream and is also great  just on its own.

You can try the recipe from Velva's post or   follow the one below for a smaller serving  size.

Recipe : Peach Cobbler recipe from Easy Southern Peach Cobbler recipe at Tomatoes on the Vine 

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup self raising flour ( or use plain flour with 1 tsp baking powder)
1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 tbsp white vinegar  ( let it sit for 10 minutes before using in this recipe)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 small can of peaches

Preheat oven  to gas mark 4 .

Place your butter in a 4-6  cup capacity  round oven dish ( I had a round one) and melt on stove top over a low heat.  Take off from stove top once the butter melts.

While the butter melts, mix sugar and flour , stir in the home made butter milk mixture . Mix well. Stir in vanilla essence and cinnamon . Carefully pour the mixture into the melted butter ( do not mix).

Thickly slice the peaches and drop on top of the batter. Drizzle with the peach syrup inside the can.

Pop inside the oven and bake for 40 minutes till the top is crusty and bubbling.

I served it warm , if you like I think a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream would go well  with this .

Thanks Velva for sharing your   lovely recipe!!!

3 comments:

  1. This looks super....... Peach is my fav all time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches are really sweet and juicy these days...the cobbler must be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails