Pineapple Upside Down Cake



My blog isn't just a place for me to share recipes but also a place to store my recipes for future use. Both my sisters and I love our cookbooks and we are always borrowing books from each other and buying cooking magazines such as Australian Women's Weekly or Good House Keeping.  This recipe is one of those recipes I wrote down from one of my sister's (who is a better cook and baker than me) cookbook collection.  It is fairly easy and delicious.


Recipe :  Pineapple Upside Down Cake ( sorry I cant remember where I took the recipe from, ). 

Base:
1/3 cup Light brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 can of Pineapple rings
Maraschino cherries, halved (optional)

Cake
1 cup plain  flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 10-inch round tray. ( I do mean lightly just use a piece of tissue to rub a tiny bit of butter. )

Place brown sugar and butter ( needed for base) and 2 tablespoons of the juice found inside the canned pineapple in a saucepan. Place this over low heat on the stovetop and gently melt the butter just starting to simmer. Pour into the prepared tray, and arrange the pineapple rings on top of the sauce. place half a cherry, if using, in the centre of the pineapple.

Take two mixing bowls, in one, sift flour, baking powder, and salt and mix. Set aside.

In a separate bowl,  beat sugar and butter till fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.

Then, add flour mixture and milk, a little at a time into the egg mixture, ( meaning, add a tablespoon of the flour mix, beat in then add a little milk, mix then again flour, and so on). Once mixed, spoon over the pineapple slices, smooth the top and pop in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Let it cool for 5 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges and invert on serving plate, very carefully.

Enjoy!.

Note, If you don't have brown sugar, use regular sugar mixed with a tsp of honey or maple syrup.

Comments

  1. Have to try this soon. looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a huge slice of this cake now, very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love upside down cakes. This looks very beautiful and tasty, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of cakes. Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,
    Upside down pineapple cakes is one of my favourites! Have not eaten one in ages! Would love to have a slice of your lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Can you believe I never made one before? I've eaten them plenty but never baked one myself. I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks really good dear... even i use my blog as a reference text, keep going back and trying to improvise... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so agree I often look back at my blog for recipes and this looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super tasty upside down cake Nimmi :) would love to grab a slice!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....