Friday, March 14, 2014

Tuna and Egg Sandwiches


My little guy, no not the fussy little guy, his big brother, does not like eggs. I have tried omelettes , sunny side, with sausages but nothing seems to work , although after much coaxing ,and a lot of gagging, he finally eats soft boiled eggs with toast sticks to dip in. This can only be done during week ends, when he can eat a lazy breakfast , on school days I have to figure out other ways to feed some eggs to   him . My kids are slightly underweight.  So I try to get as much protein and fat into their diet.

Now back to the egg battle,
I did come up with ways to sneak eggs into my eldest son's diet, by means of grating hard boiled egg into the rice when I make egg curry, tuna kegree, egg fried rice, then in pasta sauce when I serve carbonara sauce with  peas.  Yesterday I decided to change things a little and made sandwiches for lunch instead of the usual rice.  I made tuna and egg sandwiches , I finely grated the egg, into the mixture. My son after coming back from school wolfed it down even went yum yum sandwiches!!. Poor boy went into shock when his dad teased him asking him "I heard you had eggs for lunch" (LOL) . Thankfully and surprisingly his little brother doesnt mind eggs, although he is more fussy with his food compared to his big brother.

Recipe: Tuna and Egg Sandwiches  recipe inspired by various recipes.

1 can of tuna
1-2 hard boiled eggs, grated finely
4-5 tbsp mayonnaise ( use good quality if  possible)
1 tsp  dijon mustard (  others such as english mustard or the one you use for hot dogs is also ok I think)
3 finely chopped spring onions ( or use half of a small onion or a shallot), finely chopped
salt and pepper
Sandwich bread ( about 10 slices)
butter or margerine or vegetable  fat spread

In a bowl flake in tuna, along with eggs , and spring onions.  Mix in 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise, mustard , pinch of salt and black pepper.  Mix , taste and add the extra tablespoon of mayonnaise  if needed.

Spread margerine or butter on sandwich bread, spread a generous spoon of  tuna mixture , top  with another buttered slice of bread. Cut into triangles or rectangles, remove crust if you like, and serve!!

Enjoy!!!

Ps, any left over spread keeps  well in the fridge for a couple of days inside a airtight container.


10 comments:

  1. Wasn't a fan of eggs as a kid either...now I love them.
    The sandwich looks very tasty, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats what I tell my boys, my mom used to shove it into me, :D , after some time I ended up liking them.

      Delete
  2. Hahah, sneaky. This reminds me of my brother. As a child, he HATED cheese (still does). My parents knew that he would never eat cheesecake because of the word "cheese", so they hid the box from him. When he finished his slice of cheesecake and asked for seconds, my parents said "oh, so you want more cheesecake"? And showed him the box. He went bright red, and ate his second piece of cheesecake in silence.
    This looks so good. I love tuna sandwiches and I love egg sandwiches. I can't believe I have never thought about combining the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, cant help being sneaky sometimes especially when it comes to food.

      Delete
  3. tasty sandwiches and nice combo of tuna and eggs.. Would love to try them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. simple yet tasty sandwiches...though i don't eat eggs ..I'll love tuna...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggs, i love tuna,obviously this sandwich is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this. I love eggs, but don't like tuna. I prefer salmon. I am going to try this with tuna and see. Thank you so much for sharing. Greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails