I know what you are thinking, but this recipe works!!. I found this recipe in one of my cookbook. My boys loved it and even hubby gave thumbs up ( of course my hubby eats almost everything I make except okra). I replaced the smoked trout used in the original recipe with canned tuna and added chillies and to give it a little kick. The only problem I faced was finding the right oven dish to fit everything. So its best to find a tray first, arrange empty cannelloni tubes inside neatly and then choose the one that you are most happy with.
Recipe: Tuna Cannelloni recipe adapted the recipe Smoked Trout Cannelloni from Fast &healthy Recipes.
8-10 cannelloni tubes
1 onion finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic chopped
1 can of tuna ( 180g), drained and flaked
1 can of peeled tomatoes (400g)
2 slices of sandwich bread
1/2 can of water
1/4 scotch bonnet finely chopped or a few green chillies , chopped. ( optional)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried herbs
sugar ( 1/4 tsp)
handful of parsley, finely chopped ( optional)
White sauce: 2 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
handful of chedder cheese
Finely grated parmesan cheese ( or extra chedder if parmesan is unavailable)
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Take the empty cannelloni tubes and find a suitable oven dish or tray that would line the tubes neatly . Set the tubes a side and lightly oil the tray or dish with a tissue , set aside.
2. Place the two slices of bread in food processor and process to fine crumbs, remove to a mixing bowl. Flake the can of tuna along with scotchbonet/ chillies into the bowl of breadcrumbs.
3. Heat a frying pan with olive oil, and soften onions and garlic till they go soft. Add the tin of tomatoes, break the tomatoes a bit with the back of the spoon. Fill the empty tomato can with water till it reaches half the can, swirl the can and empty the contents into the pan. Stir in , herbs, pepper , sugar, bring to a boil then simmer, covered, till its reduced to a thick sauce. Taste add salt. Let it cool completely.
4. While the tomato sauce cools , prepare your cheese sauce by melting butter in a small saucepan add flour and stir well so it forms a paste. Add milk gradually , stirring constantly with a whisk so there aren't any lumps. Cook over a medium high heat till the mixture thickens. Add a pinch of salt and stir in cheese. Switch off and set aside.
5. Pour 1/4 of cup of the sauce into the tuna and breadcrumb mixture and mix well . Be careful as the chillies are hot so wear gloves. Stir in parsley if using. Taste add salt.
6. Take a cannelloni tube and fill each tube with the tuna mixture. Don't over stuff and make sure the tuna mixture is cool before stuffing.
7. Spread the remaining tomato sauce in the prepared oven dish or tray. Arrange the stuffed cannelloni tubes neatly over tomato mixture.
8. Pour the cheese sauce on top , making sure the sauce covers all the tubes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or chedder cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. check with s knife if the cannelloni shells are cooked through. Remove the foil and bake a further 10- 15 minutes till the top is golden and bubbling. Remove and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with a nice leafy green salad.