Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Fish Finger Sandwiches
I know what you are thinking, TUNA!!! AGAIN!!, but what can I say its the main form of protein in our diet and most easily available. We get several varieties of tuna, from small ones to the huge yellow fin tuna. The most popular kind is the Skipjack tuna.
Anyway, I love making these fish finger sandwiches for my family, after seeing a similar recipe on Jamie's 15 minute meals. Although I have put my own little twist by using breadcrumb crusted fish , sandwiched in a hot dog bun which has been spread with pea puree with a drizzle of tarter sauce. And its doesnt take very long to make, you just have to be organised in the kitchen when you start.
Recipe : Fish Finger Sandwiches , recipe inspired by Jamie Oliver's Best fish Baps from Jamie's 15 minute meals.
1 fillet tuna ( about 200g) or use any fish that you like and is available
2 cloves garlic, grated finely
1 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce or Maggie chilli sauce
juice of 1/2 lime
pinch of salt and pepper
breadcrumbs(seasoned with salt and pepper)
oil for deep frying
Pea puree : 1/2 cup frozen or fresh green peas ( please dont use canned)
1 fat clove of garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 small Cornichons
1-2 tsp pickling juice from the cornichons
small handful of parsley
dash of tabasco
a little lime juice
salt and pepper
4 hot dog buns
lettuce( such as butterhead, iceberg or romaine)
1. Prepare your fish fingers by slicing the tuna at an angle about 1 cm thick. Place in a tray and add garlic, chilli sauce , salt and pepper and lime juice and mix well. Set a side for 10 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Fill another bowl with seasoned breadcrumbs. Dip the fish in egg , then roll in breadcrumbs.
3. Heat oil for deep frying , then deep fry the fish fillets till dark golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper .
4. To prepare your pea puree, heat a pan of water with a pinch of salt and the garlic clove . Once it starts to boil add peas and cook for 5 minutes till bright green but cooked through. Remove and drain reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water and the garlic clove. Cool a little , pour the peas and the reserved water along with the garlic clove and pinch of salt. Puree to a smooth puree . Spoon into a bowl
5. Prepare tarter sauce by adding all the ingrediants except the lime juice and salt into the blender and whizz to a smooth sauce. Taste and adjust salt , a little pepper and lime juice. Pour into a bowl.
6. Warm your hot dog buns in the oven for 5 minutes, remove , and cut in half, length wise. Spread with pea puree on one half, top with some lettuce leaves, and arrange about 3 fish finger pieces on top. Drizzle with tarter sauce , place the top of the bun and ENJOY.
Note : you can add tomato slices, onion rings if you like.