TDM CCN Header

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bashi Mashuni ( Eggplant and Tuna Sambal)


My sons hate eggplants, I have tried frying them with bread crumbs, curried , but they just seem to choke and gag every time I tried to feed them eggplants.

Mashuni is a type of fish sambal ,  a local dish , which is usually served with flat bread for breakfast or dinner. Sometimes its  made with just smoked tuna, onions, chillies , lime and freshly grated  coconut. If pressed for time the smoked tuna is replaced with a canned tuna.
Sometimes there is a some type of vegetable added , such as a local green finely sliced , cooked pumpkin, drumstick or eggplants.

 A few days ago I decided to make   eggplant  mashuni to go along side my flat bread.  My mum usually boils the eggplants but I decided to roast my eggplants instead. The taste was much nicer as roasted eggplants tasted much better than boiled ones.  After dinner I asked my elder son whether he liked his mashuni and he goes, yes  mum !!, when I told him he had just wolfed down some eggplants and he goes all round eyes and  a  big " HUh!?!?!, really!! so that why you kept asking me if  I liked it "!

Recipe : Bashi Mashuni 

350g  purple eggplants ( buy those large fat ones)
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 fillet of smoked tuna, finely sliced or  1 can of tuna ( oil or water drained)
1/3- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
1-2 green chillies  finely sliced
juice of 1 lime
salt

1. Prick your eggplant with a fork a few times and pop into a hot oven, about gas mark 5- 6 for  about 30- 45 minutes till brown and slightly shrivelled.  ( if you want to speed things up a bit, cut the eggplant in half and place on a lightly oiled baking tray cut side down for  about 20 minutes.)Take it out and cool and cut in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Place on chopping board and finely chop the flesh. Set a side.



2. Place your sliced onions in a bowl, along with lime juice and salt and with your fingers scrunch up till the onions become soft and releases their juices.

3. Add in chillies and fish and mix well. Stir in eggplant and grated coconut. Taste adjust salt and add more lime juice if necessary.
Serve .

Note: This is best made a few minutes before serving, although if made a few hours ahead you can store in the refrigerator  but its not suitable to freeze or microwave.


7 comments:

  1. That is great that they liked it! Looks and sounds delicious! I love roasted eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, who can resist to this wonderful sambal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally new recipe for me, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggplants and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like this food, and we like to invite you to upload your unusual delicious & unexplored recipe on Find best dishes at restaurants in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....